Federal Way Noob

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nanolover

Just wanted to say Aloha to everyone out there. Based on the advice of local hobbyists that I have met in my travels to different LFS, ALL suggested that reef frontiers is THE place for those in the hobby. So, here I am. I understand the majority are local Washingtonians? That is 2x awesome! I am brand new to the hobby, but I hate to admit, I think I am head over heels, jump off the cliff, addicted! After winning 2 out of 3 fantasy football championships, I took the plunge with my earning$$ by purchasing an established 29 g bio cube from my favorite shopping site-the ever infamous CL. The cube had some live rock with some zoas a couple of Kenya trees, A coral banded shrimp and a firefish. Timing wise, it could not have been better as I attended the Bob Moore Frag Swap for some awesome frugal additions and have found a number of other great finds on cl and LFS, esp. Barrier reef. I am already eyeing a larger tank but I think my wife would shoot me. I am running the aqua 3w diy led's and ,thankfully, All appears to be thriving and growing! I am excited to have joined. I look forward to sharing some pics (once I am allowed) and getting advice from those more experienced and knowledgeable reefers out there. Speaking of which-what is your best advice for a newbie?

Thanks in advance! nanolover

Fed Way present and accounted for. :) Welcome to the hobby and the board! There are a ton of locals on here, and no so locals, that will have great advice for you. My advice...learn from your mistakes, make the health of your tank's inhabitants #1 on your list, and find what works best for you and your tank and run with it.
Charlyene

Welcome to the forums! I would say research and make sure you have everything you need before you start and you have a clear picture where you want things to go despite hang ups or setbacks.

Thanks for the advice. I have done quite a bit of reading and going through the various forums for same type concerns. This is my first forum posting. Definitely have to work on the clear picture part cuz I have already changed the "reefscape" three different times in a couple of weeks!

Welcome to RF!! :welcome:. As always suggested, the best piece of advice for anyone getting into any hobby is to research all you can about it. The good thing about RF compared to most other forums is we welcome repeat questions here so don't feel weary of asking anything that comes to mind. Also, what works for one person may not necessarily work for another so gather all the info you can and go with what appeals to you most. One thing to keep in mind with smaller scaled tanks is things are influenced allot easier do to the volume of water. The more water volume you have, the more stability you have. An example could be imagine your heater broke (for you Washington folks that live in the cold :p )...A tank with say 125 gals of water will take a lot longer to drop in temperature vs a tank your size. So this goes for pretty much everything so something to keep in mind.

With that said, I hope you enjoy the forum! Really is a great place!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back