feeding bananas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

You are not missing anything, The bananas are frozen. They don't freeze hard and are easy to mush up. Fresh bananas I would imagine are fine but they don't last long and you have to buy them every couple of days. Also the fish just eat a very little, like a square 1/2" at a time so I don't need much.
I just take that much banana, 2 drops of Selcon, a tiny bit of crushed garlic, sponge and sometimes I add chopped nori, pellets, or powered seaweed used for feeding brine shrimp. Once you mush it up, you can add anything. It should be fed in small bite sized pieces that they can swallow whole because if they bite it they lose a lot and it disolves in the water. I never said it was great for the water :lol: . Since I am not a fish nutritionalist I have no idea idea if it is the best thing to feed them. I do this because some of my fish, like the Idol I don't want to give too much protein so I fill him up on this then I give them clams, worms, mysis or plankton because fish like the copperband butterfly or bangai cardinal normally eat just protein with no vegetables. I still hatch brine shrimp every two days for the blue stripe pipe fish, firefish and small gobies which I have quite a few.
We can not feed all fish the same thing even though they may eat it just like we can't eat ice cream or any food all the time and we (humans)are all one
species. We can't come close to a fishes natural diet and we can't feed them tiny amounts every five minutes like they normally eat in the sea.
All we can do is try to give fish food that when digested is similar to their natural diet. Anything else and a fish with a 15 year lifespan may only live three. :(
Have a great day.
Paul

I feed all fish with this and would never just put food in the water. The bananas I feed on the end of a knife because it would disolve into the water in the baster. I am trying to get it to the point where it will stay together better. Just another experiment. I used to do it years ago but forgot the exact proportions. But I'll get it.

Last edited:
To update the bananna thing, now just about all the fish including the copperband and bangai cardinal love the stuff. Well, it's cheap and readily available.
Of course I do not use it as a staple. The only fish I have that do not eat it are bluestriped pipefish and clown gobies.
Have a great day.
Paul

hijack

Krish what kind of fish is that in the pic that you cought with a hot dog?

[QUOTEDo you think adding geletin would help hold it together?][/QUOTE]

Are we talking bananas again? If so I freeze the bananas and cut off small pieces, it stays together fine.
Paul

Back