Feeding while Skimming

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pnikiel

Does anyone else turn off their skimmer while feeding?

I feed daily, chopped frozen for the fish, liquid phyto with vitamins for the coral.

My skimmer is the first pump in the sump. If I don't turn it off and keep it off for 2 hours after feeding, it foams right up and fills up the cup with relatively clean water in no time at all.

I had a sock on the input tube. But I also developed a nitrate problem so I took it off. My thinking is to let the food particles flow into the refugium where my macro will either catch it or knock it down to the sand bed where critters will eat it.

But it's a pain turning that skimmer on and off. Is there a flaw somewhere in my thinking here???

I turn the sump and skimmer off when I feed. I do not want extra food going into the sump/fuge. Just wire a light switch to it. Also I only feed every other day.

I always leave my skimmer on. I feed pellets every other day and needless to say not much gets passed my fish.

My skimmer only goes crazy if I dump to many pellets in the tank. Sounds like you may just be feeding to much to fast.

Don

Now there's a thought. I do typicall just dump and go. You're suggesting I should slow down the input, a little now, a little more, a little more...?

But what about the corals? I feed a liquid phyto w/vitamins. I'm following instructions. And, just as it says it would, it clouds the tank for a while. Should I dribble that in as well?

Now there's a thought. I do typicall just dump and go. You're suggesting I should slow down the input, a little now, a little more, a little more...?

But what about the corals? I feed a liquid phyto w/vitamins. I'm following instructions. And, just as it says it would, it clouds the tank for a while. Should I dribble that in as well?

What corals (type)?

Don

I'm just starting my collection so it isn't much. I have a decent sized open brain coral, some frog spawn, some button polyps, a few small mushrooms and I'm trying to resurect a nearly gone bubble coral. And a friend just gave me a small shel with some zenia on it that I'd like to propogate.

I feed the "Phytofeast" that is sold at a lfs. It's the only one they sell. They swear by it, but I suspect it has more to do with a sweet profit margin. (Too suspicious?)

I'm just starting my collection so it isn't much. I have a decent sized open brain coral, some frog spawn, some button polyps, a few small mushrooms and I'm trying to resurect a nearly gone bubble coral. And a friend just gave me a small shel with some zenia on it that I'd like to propogate.

I feed the "Phytofeast" that is sold at a lfs. It's the only one they sell. They swear by it, but I suspect it has more to do with a sweet profit margin. (Too suspicious?)

I'd say you can save a few buck and go without the phyto alltogether. Fish poo should be plenty unless you have no fish or some crazy xxxl skimmer.

Don

Well that worked!

In a small glass I mixed tank water, two frozen cubes, thawed and mashed, some freeze-dried cyclopeeze and some of the liquid filter feeder/vitamin stuff. Then I added it, just a bit at a time, over the course of about 15 minutes. Every one ate. The skimmer behaved itself.

I'm intrigued by the idea that I don't need to feed to coral with anything by fish poop. I have a good fish population in the tank. Is it possible that I don't need to buy and pour anything else into the tank???

Great feedback. I appreciate it from everyone!

Back