Filter Socks

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

KRMNAL1

Just wondering what most of you guys do with the water droping down from the overflow. Mine just drops onto some LR in the same chamber as my skimmer then flows through a bag of carbon and back to the main tank but there is always crud floating in my water. Do most people put some type of filter sock on the overflow ?

Thanks

i just started using filter socks..i love them!!! there is no detritus in my sump at all!!!!!!! i run mine 24/7, changing them out for freshly washed ones every 3-4 days.....my nitrates are almost at zero.....i have each overflow going to its' own filter sock..i bought them from Premium Aquatics along with the sock holder..i had to make adjustments to the holder that they sell..they are definately worth it

Before I got the Aquapod, I just let the water flow freely into my sumps. What my skimmer didn't catch, I removed when doing a water change:)

my filter socks catch almost everything...my skimmer picks up the rest of the slack...my skimmer still hasn't filled the collection cup all the way yet..my tank has been up for several weeks..the skimmate that is in the cup is almost black..it is about half full so far..i need to go ahead and empty it out..i need to order a couple more filter socks so that i don't have to wash them as often

And if you ran a filter sock you could place a media bag with carbon or other media inside it. A filter sock could also eliminate microbubbles. But you have to have to have to make sure you get at least 2 filter socks. This will allow you to have a clean one at all times so you can just swap them out. Pulling one out and handing cleaning and putting it back in gets old quick.

I cleaned mine the other day with 2 cap fulls of bleach in the washing machine. Is that how everyone else cleans these. Then I hang them dry for a week or so to dry. Is that good enough?

although the filter socks do a great job, i leave the crud in my 4ft sump tank of which is mainly a big refugium so all the fauna get there feed and do a grand job before going into main tank.

I
cleaned mine the other day with 2 cap fulls of bleach in the washing machine. Is that how everyone else cleans these.

you'd probably be better off not using any soap or bleach at all. just let the agitation of the wash cycle do the work. some people say not to even use the washing machine due to left over phosphates from detergent.

I cleaned mine the other day with 2 cap fulls of bleach in the washing machine. Is that how everyone else cleans these. Then I hang them dry for a week or so to dry. Is that good enough?

I wash mine with detergent and bleach, then rinse well in tap water and let dry for a day ...so far that is working for me.

I tie media bags onto mine. Works nice. I take it off to do my large feeding so I dont waste lots of little cyclopseeeees. Change them almost everyday. No soap! Just rinse in RODI.

I use one on the overflow and one on the discharge of my skimmer to cut down on micro bubbles. I clean them every three days I have a bunch of spares so I can just swap them out and wash them when I get around to it

Hey, Ken. I owe you for the filter socks I ordered...I think I ordered 4?

Are you going to the picnic and if so, I could pick them up from you then (?)

Jan

I tie media bags onto mine. Works nice.

You mean, in the sump, or when you are washing them to provide agitation (not sure what you're describing here...)

Back