Fin Rot?!? Juvi. Emp Angel

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lateral72

I have a Juvi. Emperor Angel in QT right now (not treating for anything, just observing). Anyhow, it is developing what I believe is Fin Rot. The pectoral fins are ragged and are cloudy. The right side fin is almost completely white, while the left side is starting to turn white. There are no symptoms I can detect on the dorsal fin. The caudal fin is becoming cloudy, but is not ragged.

How should I go about treating the fish? It is in a 20 gallon bare-bottom tank. There is a couple palm sized pieces of LR and a clump of cheato in the tank. The tank also has fairly dim lighting, and a bio-wheel filter with a poly pad. Not running carbon.

Where do I proceed from here?

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to RF someone will be by soon to help. Have you read any of the stickies above your post?, good place to start.

Thanks for the welcome, mmkeeper. I've tried looking through the Stickies but didn't find anything. And then the terms Fin & Rot are too small to search with...

Unfortanutely my camera isn't the best. But here is a picture. (End of this post)

The fin has gotten worse overnight. It has developed "cotton"-like sores on the edges of the fins.

finrot.jpg

'Cotton sores' would lead to think it's lymphocyctis, if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully Lee we jump in...

'Cotton sores' would lead to think it's lymphocyctis, if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully Lee we jump in...
True. But the whole fin is cloudy (compared to the left side, which is starting to cloud). And the edges are ragged and torn.. Could be both??

I saw in AquaKnight's thread that Lee recommended a double initial dosage of Maracyn II. I have the Maracyn II ready and waiting. Can anyone confirm or deny that a double "initial" dosage is recommended or not?

Last edited:
Not good timing for you, Lateral72. My computer was switched over with new hardware and the 2-hour job took 10 hours. I was offline for most of the day yesterday.

I'm glad the fish is in quarantine. A very good idea on your part.

It is likely having difficulty with bacteria in the QT. Do large frequent water changes while treating with Maracyn Two for Saltwater fishes. Start by using a double dosage as recommended on the package. When you do a water change, put the Maracyn in the new water before making the change.

These Angels are very sensitive to water quality. It is difficult enough to maintain good water quality in a QT, but these fishes must have the best quality of all. Find out any source of high organics (collecting detritus, etc.) and reduce it or remove it. Do frequent water changes even if you think everything is okay.

You should read through this post: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27575

Good luck! Ask if you have any questions. :)

Lee,

I have a couple questions about the Maracyn II treatment. I am treating the fish with M II, and per the instructions, it says it may cloud when in use.

Currently it is very cloudy, and the fish's breathing rate is increased.

Should I be worried about the increased breathing rate? How long should the cloudiness last? How long should I allow the increased breathing rate? If the increased rate doesn't die-down should I consider running carbon or a large water change and retry the treatment once the fish calms down?

Tell us what the directions say to add. Tell us how much water you are adding it to. Tell us how much you actually added.

The antibiotic will not adversely affect the fish and it take a couple of days to affect the bacteria. Water changes should be in the neighborhood of 50% not 15%. Follow these guidelines for water changes: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27191

Back