Fin Rot

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kcbrad

Hi,

What are the most common signs of fin rot in marine fish? What have you noticed if you've experienced fin rot? And how can you tell if the fish's fins are being nipped or if it is rot? I've been looking online but haven't found anything too helpful.

Thank you!!

Regarding differentiating between fin rot and a fish attack, that should be evident if you sit and spend time watching your marine fishes. Although fish behavior is somewhat difficult to interpret, a fish's reaction to being near an enemy or a fish that doesn't get along with it is usually evident.

That being said, fin rot is a deterioration of the fish area. The deterioration isn't uniform. It causes a type of jagged edge to the fin. Overall the fish may look 'out of sorts' which is easy for me to tell from experience. Others new to the hobby or without knowledge of that species may not have this edge.

When a fish bites or nips a piece of fin off, it tends to be more uniform in shape (not as jagged). If it is a crab attack, the fin may be split or sliced which is not the usual form of fin rot.

:)

The reason I'm asking is that my damsel is missing a chunk out of his dorsal fin and tail fin. The missing areas appeared over the span of two days and the areas look like clean cuts, which is why I suspected his fins were being nipped. However, I was nervous about fin rot because my clown and damsel (my only fish) seem to get along well. I've only seen them fight twice, but it ended quickly. But I do notice that when my clown comes near my damsel, my damsel erects all his fins, which I take as a display of dominance.

Thanks for the information!

Then that would most likely be an attack. Probably at night or sometime when you're not around.

Keep in mind that Anemonefishes are Damselfishes. They usually don't get along, and if there is a pairing or grouping of either, they usually won't tolerate the other being close. So what you have are two Damselfishes, which I would wager won't get along in the long run.

Well, I'm hoping they will! The guy at my local fish shop sold me a springer's damsel and said that they tend to be much less aggressive than other damsels, so it should work out with my clown and damsel. But who knows, each fish is so different. Maybe I got a super mean springer's! :)

Thanks a lot for the input!

Back