Final photos before the fish go in

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
Here are a few final photos of my FO setup before I add the fish. I don't think I will do anymore until I add some fish. That will be the telling tale to see if I need any more hiding spaces. The only difference will be the lighting as my bulbs are here

I hope you guys like my idea. I wanted to do something different from everyone else...Thus the rock backround. I think it would make an awsome display for some corals etc.., but maybe later.

P.s Don't mind the un-finished paint job behind my stand...I didn't want my fish to inhale any fumes LOL. Image intense also...may take a while to load

Looks excellent. Really like your idea. What is that rock stuff? It appears you have cut it for your overflow etc...?
I really like the look.

John

yeah dood can you explain how did you do that rock work and where did you get that awesome background, it looks so real.
i can't believe that i'm drooling over rocks :p

It is an actual backround you can buy that is made up of 3 pieces that interlock. The outside is rock, then there is a layer of what seems to be concrete of some sort, and then a layer of some kind of fiberglass mat. It weighs a ton. I have it siliconed around the top so that ditritus doesn't get trapped in the back. Glad you guys like it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I had to chop out that piece for the overflow to fit. The only thing that was able to cut it was a huge grinding wheel blade I put in a chop saw.

Looks great Krish. Although you've probably already mentioned it, what kind of fish are going in there? Forgive me if you've already said, I've been like the walking dead these last couple of weeks.

Clayton

i really really really like it a lot :D.
are you just gonna be doing fishes and corals too? or just fishes?
and if you are gonna be doing corals, are you gonna be doing sps, lps or softies :D, sorry if i'm asking to much dood.

what kind of fish are going in there
Still not totally sure yet. I have so much to choose from living in the Bahamas and all (had to rub it in) LOL. I want some small active fish at first, but not many. I guess we'll have to see. One fish that I totally enjoyed in my last setup was a juvenile French angel. He was beautiful and use to eat out of my hand.

Thanks for the complement Steve. It makes you feel good when people who have nice tanks like yourself shows intrest in mine...Even if you are just being nice LOL.

Boy Gabriela, I don't know about corals yet. I have bio-balls in my system and I want to see what happens this time around seeing I'm better prepared. I want to see by how much I can keep waste to a minimum and catch it before it begins to break down. If I am successful then I'll go from there. If I can maintain really low to no nitrates then I will definately add some, but only those that prefer lower lighting

This is just a picture I wanted to add of my whole setup
with the tank stand and canopy all together. I couldn't
get the lighting right, but it will atleast give an idea
of what everything looks like together since I've never
really posted a picture of it. Hopefully next time
I post a picture, I'll have some fish in it.

Hope everything works out good for you. I also like the background :D Can't wait to see what you put in there.
Just remember, take it slow my friend, and I think you'll have some good success.

Thanks doodette and Charlie. I've really been taking it slow. My wife says too slow, but there is never too slow in the hobby... 10 weeks and 2 days since setting it up. I would love to add more LR into the tank and put some into the sump to get some sort of denitrificaion, but I really don't want to over crowd the tank with too much rock. That center piece I have of LR I think would look great with some marine life over it and maybe even an anemone, but until I can find away to get rid of nitrates other than relying on water changes, it will have to remain that way it is for a while. I will have a very small bio-load for now. I think it will only be a pair of percs and maybe a small tang until I decide fully on what I want to do. I would love to add some corals etc because they are right at my finger tips, but 83 degree water and bio-balls aren't the proper conditions for it. I'll have to work on that one and see what I can come up with. I was even thinking on increasing my sump size to house enough LR that will handle all of my biological needs. It's really no problem for me to take down the tank in order for me to put a huge sump in my stand (that fills it to capacity) and then drop the tank on over it. I'll see how things go.

Damn Krish! Thats so nice! Thats something to be proud of. I'll do my 30g like that and call it Mini K.

Krish that looks awesome! Great job. What fish are you going to add first? Can you go out and catch them yourself? If I ever come to the Bahamas I will have to check out your tank in person!
Ruth

Thanks for the replies Detri, Joey and Ruth. I hope if you name your 30g, "mini K" Detri, you don't get major HA (hair algae) like I had in my last setup (LOL).
As for first fish Ruth, I think it will be 2 percs at first and maybe a small blue hippo. I'll have to bring those guys in cause I've never seen them around here. I'll leave the wild caught fish for later unless I have a problem getting the clowns and hippo in. If so, I'll go out and catch me a small french angel and small Queen angel which I am going to add to my tank anyway at some point.

krish75 said:
Thanks for the replies Detri, Joey and Ruth. I hope if you name your 30g, "mini K" Detri, you don't get major HA (hair algae) like I had in my last setup (LOL).

I thought I was going to have a problem with it. But it seems to be disappearing. The Diatoms are gone completely, and since the Snails, Hermits and clowns have been in, the hairy algae has been slowly disappearing.

Back