Finally doing it right from the begining :)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Workaholic

Millipora Addict
Ok, So i'm making good progress on my new setup so I thought I would start a build thread. For some reason the pictures I had of the initial construction of the stand build are MIA at this time, if I find them i'll post them up. But here are two pictures of the test fit I did today to see where I need to cut the hole in the back panel.

Equipment
58G oceanic tank with 6port closed loop and overflow with built in drain and return
Lumenbright reflector running a single 250W 12k reeflux metal halide (mag ballast)
Octopus NW150 skimmer (slightly modded)
40B sump with 3 chambers
Clamp on light for fuge
odysea 700gph return pump
Reeflo snapper closed loop pump
Custom build 5'x2'x3' stand with 16" tall canopy built by me :)

Let me know what you think, i'm actually taking my time on this one and not just slapping it all togethor and its the first time i've ever done any reall carpentry work from scratch (done little fix it stuff here and there).

DSC_4101copy.jpg

DSC_4102copy.jpg

Tom

Last edited:
i'm debating on running doors or just covering up the studs with the same skin the rest of the stand has and running a curtain on a nice curtain rod so I have easy access. The stand and canopy will be painted a silver metallic to match my stainless appliances.

Tom

Just an update. Finishing the tank has been put on hold due to lack of finances from having to find and buy a new truck because of a less than stellar bank forcing me to sell my current truck :evil:

Tom

OK so here is a long needed update. ITS EVEN GOT PICTURES! (adam)

Here is the tank on the stand being test fit into place for like the 3rd time to make sure everything will fit how I want lol.

testfitting.jpg

The mess that was my living room for quite some time while I got this thing all painted and put together. As you can probably tell I went with the same color as the walls are painted.

assembly1.jpg

Here is the stand painted and installed showing the left side plumbing access.

plumbingaccessLS.jpg

right side plumbing access.
plumbingaccessRS.jpg

Here is the rockwork in a test layout which I later decided I really liked and went with. Its a combination of dead fire coral skeletons and some mediocre dry rock I got off ebay.

rockworkfront.jpg

Right side of the rockwork

rockworksideview.jpg

FULL OF WATER! after all the little leaks were found and fixed.

upanrunnin.jpg

And here are the two reasons why I will never run a meshwheel impeller again
bubbles.jpg

foam.jpg

Hope you all like :) I sure do.

Tom

I would certainly hope so with 3200gph of pumps running in the tank :). I would also like to add that I just fired up to snapper for the first time and I must say this thing is ridiculously silent. I mean I have 3800gph of pumps going (including skimmer) and my 220v in wall cadet heater 10ft. away in my kitchen is louder than this tank with an open top.

The skimmer has been running for about an hour now and the foam has only getting thicker and darker. The only thing i've done to it is install a pinwheel impeller everything else on the skimmer is TOTALLY STOCK. which i'm really liking as I know I wont have to constantly mess with it as I've had to in the past with skimmer that were well modded.

Tom

Last edited:
Wow, amazing project and awesome results.........
See, that's why I slam with my head against the wall each time, I am not a good "construction" guy......

Looking forward to see pics when it's all up and running

Tom, I don't think I have ever seen a tank with such a high ratio of pvc to glass
Is this a prototype for your next big tank? LOLOLOLOL
Looks like a fun project, eager to see water and life in it.

Lots of ball valves you could IMO totally un-necessary, lots of potential problems with all those extra unions.
Other than that, It really looks nice, great flow I'm sure it will be nice once completed.

Back