Finally getting close and would like your Input!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DolphinLVR

RF Premium Member
Hello all!

After not having a saltwater tank in over 25 yrs, I am finally going to be setting up a system that I have hopes in having a mixed reef. Over the last few years, I have been doing alot of research, reading and dreaming! Of course seeing tanks such as Myteemouse's and Saltyfish have only fueled my desire! :lol:

I still have lots of questions, but I do know one thing is that I want a system with quality components that will allow me the flexibility to keep whatever I wish. I am trying to put together a system where I do have a budget, What I am looking for from all of you is your input concerning the components.

Tank - 180 Gallon built by Matt with CFI with sump/refugium and center overflow box

Lighting - I am looking for a lighting system that will set ontop of the tank! Does anyone have any thoughts or experiance with this light?

http://www.aquacave.com/belize-sun-...ng-system-br-by-hamilton-technology-2557.html

Return Pump - In Sump Eheim 1262

Skimmer - I am leaning towards SWC Extreme 250

Refugium Lighting - http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/control/product/~product=LT-FXXL-T2424

Tank Flow - I am looking at some Koralia 4's (Not sure many I would need)

Heater - Jalli 800W Titanium with Jalli Temp Controller

RODI - Will purchase when I get all this together

System Controller - Havent decided on one yet or if I want to DIY one!

I look forward to everyone's imput and Thank you in advance!

Jeff

AC jr is a top notch controller..
Good skimmer choice
prolly need alot of K-4 (this one I would look into a vortech or a couple tunze streams.
RODI try "thefilterguys" good prices and good service.
As for the fuge light there are lot's of cheap options and spendy ones too.

AC jr is a top notch controller..
Good skimmer choice
prolly need alot of K-4 (this one I would look into a vortech or a couple tunze streams.
RODI try "thefilterguys" good prices and good service.
As for the fuge light there are lot's of cheap options and spendy ones too.

Thanks for your input Myteemouse! BTW, I absolutely love that build you did!

I was thinking the same with the K4's as far as needing quite a few

For my 180 I have a barracuda pump for my CL (About 4800GPH+) w/ four outlets. One on the back wall and one on the floor of the tank at each end. The flow isn't bad, but I will be adding at LEAST 2 K4's at the front corner to increase flow in the center and towards the back wall.

Your Skimmer is an excellent choice.

RODI the filter guys I heard are great. I just got a new 100GPD Water General unit for 145 shipped and like the quality from an ebay company. Melevs reef also makes a nice RODI unit and is a great site for DIY acrylic works.

How big is your Sump? I would think a 1260 would be plenty at 685 GPH for a sump.

As far as the lights and heaters go.

I use 3 20K 250W MH pendants over my tank. My tank holds a steady 79.1-80* and very rarely uses the heater. I have a 300W hydor heater in there now for when it does have to come on.

For my 180 I have a barracuda pump for my CL (About 4800GPH+) w/ four outlets. One on the back wall and one on the floor of the tank at each end. The flow isn't bad, but I will be adding at LEAST 2 K4's at the front corner to increase flow in the center and towards the back wall.

Your Skimmer is an excellent choice.

RODI the filter guys I heard are great. I just got a new 100GPD Water General unit for 145 shipped and like the quality from an ebay company. Melevs reef also makes a nice RODI unit and is a great site for DIY acrylic works.

How big is your Sump? I would think a 1260 would be plenty at 685 GPH for a sump.

As far as the lights and heaters go.

I use 3 20K 250W MH pendants over my tank. My tank holds a steady 79.1-80* and very rarely uses the heater. I have a 300W hydor heater in there now for when it does have to come on.

I have given thought to a closed loop and am still open to that, however I am leaning heavily towards the Vortechs or Tunze.

The sump will be built by Matt at CFI along with the tank, I am assuming it will be no less than 30 gallons.

As far as the lighting, I wanted to try and stay with a unit that I could have the Atinics, MH and some type of moon lighting. This way I could get away from a canopy, thus reducing heat.

I was just trying to give you an idea of the amount of flow I use on my system. Vortechs and streams will quickly out cost the closed loop in price.

I have approx a 40 Gallon sump give or take and I run 750GPH cut back via ball valve to about 3/4 of that. I think the 1260 at 685 would be a good sump flow especially if you have a refugium. 180x5 is the "math" for a sump return in this case right?

I agree with the canopy. Although I prefer the canopy look I am using free hanging pendants. I do wish I had the T-5 capabilities though.

I was just trying to give you an idea of the amount of flow I use on my system. Vortechs and streams will quickly out cost the closed loop in price.

I have approx a 40 Gallon sump give or take and I run 750GPH cut back via ball valve to about 3/4 of that. I think the 1260 at 685 would be a good sump flow especially if you have a refugium. 180x5 is the "math" for a sump return in this case right?

I agree with the canopy. Although I prefer the canopy look I am using free hanging pendants. I do wish I had the T-5 capabilities though.

I very much appreciate the input akunochi :) As I have purchased the tank as of yet, I still have the option of runnimg closed loop. Why pump do you run for your closed loop?

yeah I think the Eheim is a great pump from what all I have read. I am sure the sump/refugium wil be more on the 40 gal side myself.

I run the reeflo(sp?) Barracuda. I get GREAT flow with only 4 outputs all with ball valves. However because the tank is 6 feet long and the flow needs to bouce off the acrylic to keep that clean, I need additional flow towards the center of the tank.

I run the reeflo(sp?) Barracuda. I get GREAT flow with only 4 outputs all with ball valves. However because the tank is 6 feet long and the flow needs to bouce off the acrylic to keep that clean, I need additional flow towards the center of the tank.

ahhhh ok! Do you think a couple of Tunze Streams would accomplis all the flow that will be needed?

2 of the larger tunze streams would def be ok by my estimation w/ a cl system.

I think total I am going to be around 10000GPH of flow with everything combined.

Sounds like you are on your way to a sweet set up! Your selection of equipment is great so far. You don't need a heater that big. I run 2 350w heater for my 330g system right now and it keeps the temp where it should be even with the sump in the cold garage. Also too split the heaters into 2 or 3 so if one fails you have 1 or 2 back up or if one gets stuck on it won't boil your tank before you would notice the rise in temp. If you use a quality controller such as a Ranco you can avoid worrying about that though. Also too for flow I would suggest some vortechs or Tunze streams. If you don't like wires in your tank then Vortechs are your best bet but the only flaw is that you have the dry side on the outside of your tank. If you don't mind wires in the tank then controllable Tunze Streams. For lighting the one you linked to is nice but me personally are not a fan of all in one system because the reflector for the MH is crappy and tiny so it does't do a real good job at ustilizing the full power of the light but it does look nice:).

Sounds like you are on your way to a sweet set up! Your selection of equipment is great so far. You don't need a heater that big. I run 2 350w heater for my 330g system right now and it keeps the temp where it should be even with the sump in the cold garage. Also too split the heaters into 2 or 3 so if one fails you have 1 or 2 back up or if one gets stuck on it won't boil your tank before you would notice the rise in temp. If you use a quality controller such as a Ranco you can avoid worrying about that though. Also too for flow I would suggest some vortechs or Tunze streams. If you don't like wires in your tank then Vortechs are your best bet but the only flaw is that you have the dry side on the outside of your tank. If you don't mind wires in the tank then controllable Tunze Streams. For lighting the one you linked to is nice but me personally are not a fan of all in one system because the reflector for the MH is crappy and tiny so it does't do a real good job at ustilizing the full power of the light but it does look nice:).

Thanks Roscoe! I like the idea of splitting the heaters. Would you say acouple of 200W heaters would be good?

Hello all!

Tank - 180 Gallon built by Matt with CFI with sump/refugium and center overflow box

Return Pump - In Sump Eheim 1262

Skimmer - I am leaning towards SWC Extreme 250

Jeff

Return Pump - I would recommend a Mag9 to Mag12 depending if you are going to T it off to run other things like refugium feed, CA reactor etc.

Skimmer - I am leaning towards SWC Extreme 250 Good skimmer takes a bit to tinker with them some times. I personally like the ASM skimmers.

Depending on your width, depth, and height of your tank it is hard to say
If your tank is long from my own personal use I am seeing it this way
4' length = K4
5' length = K5
6' length = K6
7' length = K7
8' length = K8

Depth (back to front)
again depending on your size
I would use K2 or K3

Matt should be able to help you with a closed loop design if you thought about that route too.

I like these heaters but the controller has issues. Make sure you get the one that you have the external fuse so you can replace it.

I run a Aqua Controller Pro III could not be happier with it.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I have the SWC cone 250 extreme and its is awesome - it replaced my Reef Octopus and ATI Bubblemaster. Its a much better design.

As far as lighting I have an Aquatic LIfe 72". It works with reflectors and puts out much less heat than the MH I used to have. My corals are all flourishing.

Thanks Saltyfish! I will look into the K6's as my tank will be the standard 72x24x24

Thank you Jill! I will definately take a look at that lighting. I am very interested to see when Icecap will release a 72 inch version of their Reef Illuminations!

JMHO and experience with all types of PHs. You should skip the koralias and go with controlable Tunzes so that way you have the power of control. The newer tunze are small, compact and pushes tons of water around.

Couple of questions!

Do you all think that with the tank i will have, if a couple of VorTech MP-40's will do the trick?

Also i am taking a hard look at the Aqua Controller Jr with the Temp & Ph probes as well as the DC8. Will this control the heaters without having a heater controller? what about the VorTechs?

Couple of questions!

Do you all think that with the tank i will have, if a couple of VorTech MP-40's will do the trick?

Also i am taking a hard look at the Aqua Controller Jr with the Temp & Ph probes as well as the DC8. Will this control the heaters without having a heater controller? what about the VorTechs?

2 MP40 is a good start! One on opposite end of each other. Yes your AC jr will control your heater(s) but I don't like to have all my eggs in one basket. Redundancy is key. If you have one controller controlling your entire sytem and if that just happens to fail for what ever reason your whole system will shut down. It is a neat toy to have though. Echo Marine is in the process of making the vortechs controlable via all the different controllers out in the market right now. I'm not sure when it will happen but it is in the talks. Hope that helps with some of your decisions.

Just for reference of flow I have roughly 16000gph in my 270g. I use to have 20000gph but since took off my 3rd MP40 because I felt it impeded flow rather helping with it.

Back