Finally getting close and would like your Input!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks for the input Roscoe! I just want to start off with a good package and go from there! I will be able to add more flow down the road as well as making the system somewhat redundant.

If i were where you were right now..

I would do a 150g
55g sump
flow rated to match your hight but would shoot for 5x-8x flow thur the sump...
two tunze 6060's a reef keeper elite controller, two heaters matched for size..
an outter orbits 2x150 or 2x250 or sunpod. Hung of course. Skimmer.... really have no preference on.

My reasoning
tunzes dont fail and are efficient
rk2 Elite is E-capable via Iphone free app.
you need HID's And im in love with my sunpod.

as far as return pump goes.. Thats your choice two.. depending on where you live the temp of the house.. Weather you want internal or external.... If you need the heat or not.

I have the SWC cone 250 extreme and its is awesome - it replaced my Reef Octopus and ATI Bubblemaster. Its a much better design.

As far as lighting I have an Aquatic LIfe 72". It works with reflectors and puts out much less heat than the MH I used to have. My corals are all flourishing.

If i were where you were right now..

I would do a 150g
55g sump
flow rated to match your hight but would shoot for 5x-8x flow thur the sump...
two tunze 6060's a reef keeper elite controller, two heaters matched for size..
an outter orbits 2x150 or 2x250 or sunpod. Hung of course. Skimmer.... really have no preference on.

My reasoning
tunzes dont fail and are efficient
rk2 Elite is E-capable via Iphone free app.
you need HID's And im in love with my sunpod.

as far as return pump goes.. Thats your choice two.. depending on where you live the temp of the house.. Weather you want internal or external.... If you need the heat or not.

Thanks for the input Burning!

I originally was going to do a 120 AGA, but for the same pricing I can get a 180 Gallon Acryallic setup up.

I was looking at the Orbit and or sunpod by Current and have been told that they are getting out og the HQI Lighting business, thus if I bought one, there would be no support for it should something happen.

I Live in the Northern part of NW Washington and will be keeping the tank on the lower level of the house where it always stays cool. Thats why I was looking at lighting to set ontop of the tank rather than inside the canopy so i could control the heat much better.

This will be adequate skimming I think....

helgoland-skimmer2.jpg

Sounds like a nice solid setup, I'm sure you're excited. I have a 24" center overflow in my 180 and I love it.

That light fixture looks pretty darn sweet too - Hamilton makes a good product.

As for your return pump, I used both internals and externals, and I've found the externals to be great performers in the way of flow, ease of use, and the fact they just don't heat the water like a high powered internal one does - except for Red Dragon, but they are in a class of their own.

The skimmer you listed is a great choice, but you may want to take a look at the new Octopus Super Reef line, the new Bubble Blaster pump's they are using now are really nice. The sicce's are good pumps, but I just switched to a Bubble Blaster and my skimmer is running better then ever.

Tunze, Vortech, Korailia, hell they are all good - go with your gut. Tunze is very reliable, very configurable, and a little cheaper then Vortech - but the bling of the Vortech is hard to beat considering you don't have wires inside the tank. Korailia's are reliable and significantly cheaper then the other guys, but if you get the controllable ones the system will run the same price as the other guys.

I can't wait to see the build, great planning and research can only lead to good things!

OK... Then perhaps you would look at internal return pumps (as they assist the heating to a small degree)

Ive never had a problem with anything Current made... other then a ballast that i replaced in a small 13" fixture... t5 ballast was availible at home depot

even if they were not geting outta of the fish lighting thing... your still not gonna get any support...

IMO you dont need controlable power heads, you need good ones..

look forward to seeing your build...
also consider a generator for your tank i see the north west gets a lotta abuse lately

Thanks Chris! I am excited to get the ball rolling, but wont do that until I have completed all of my research on the equipment I plan to have....Slow n easy! hehehe I am almost there however!

Thanks Burning :D I will be using the Eheim 1262 in my sump as my return! The PH's i havent quite made the final decision on, but i am indeed getting closer there as well. I want to make sure I have good flow for when I start adding the different corals that i want to have.

Like others before me, I will start a build thread once I get my tank and equipment on order. Everyone here has been a big help and it has been greatley appreciated thats for sure!!!!!!

Awesome equipment ideas being tossed around. Cant wait for the thread. Good luck with the build!

If you really want an Aquacontroller product, You should seriously consider the ACIII or the AC Pro over the Jr. The Jr is Very limited on its capabilities and isnt easily hooked up to your computer. The other two hook up easily and give you the ability to monitor and control your tank from remote locations on your phone etc.

If you really want an Aquacontroller product, You should seriously consider the ACIII or the AC Pro over the Jr. The Jr is Very limited on its capabilities and isnt easily hooked up to your computer. The other two hook up easily and give you the ability to monitor and control your tank from remote locations on your phone etc.

When I do get the contoller, I have decided I will go with the Apex as it seems to have the most versitility. The controller will probably be one of the last Items I purchase.

I have also been keeping an eye out for a QT tank as well, but that too will come after i get the DT up and going.

Apex is a great choice for a controller I personally have the RKl3 and I do love it I wish I would of spent the extra cash and bought the elite version. a buddy of mine has an Apex and he loves it. thats is the next one I am looking at but the Reef keeper light does so much from light control to auto top offonly thing does not able you to get online thats the one thing I wanted I Bought before I got a Iphone.

A single unit like those are nice, but not for $1000.

Plus the link you listed back in Nov. for your refugium, way too much.
Refugium lighting shouldn't cost more then $15 for a single or $30 for a double light.
I'd look into building a canopy and retro fit mh's.

Hello all!

Here I thought I pretty much thought I had everything figured out, but find myself back to the Lighting and need your input.

Would you go with a standalone unit such as the Hamilton Beliz?

http://www.aquacave.com/belize-sun-...ng-system-br-by-hamilton-technology-2557.html

Or Would you go with a canopy that has MH, LED's and either T5 or VHO?

Advantages/drawbacks?

Thanks !

Jeff

I'd go with with a standalone unit and hang it from the ceiling. I just think it looks cleaner and more modern. Hoods can trap heat IMO, but they also confine the light to the tank only. If you don't like light from your fixture spilling out into the surrounding room then consider the hood.

I'd go with with a standalone unit and hang it from the ceiling. I just think it looks cleaner and more modern. Hoods can trap heat IMO, but they also confine the light to the tank only. If you don't like light from your fixture spilling out into the surrounding room then consider the hood.

Thanks Chicas!

I like the cleaner look as well and since I wont be running a chiller, I want to keep any additional heat as minimal as possible.

The light you posted: $1000

To DIY a quality setup
Lumenarc Reflectors x3 = $405
E-ballasts x3 = $405
T-5 retrofit kit = $99-$229

Basically a high quality DIY cost near the same as the fixture you posted.

Pros
fixture; no hood, cleaner look, less heat, less work to install, more intense longer lasting MH bulb
DIY; better reflectors, ability to use reflector for other wattage of bulbs, ability to change T-5 end caps to VHO or vise versa, bigger MH bulb selction, less expensive MH bulb replacement

Cons
Fixture; open top means fish can easily jump, difficult to upgrade single components, some fixtures have inadequate built in cooling, have to hide wires somehow
DIY; a hood is likely necessary, can be a mess of wires, requires a small amount of DIY skills and tools,

Im sure there are alot more pros and cons, but the school system is calling my son's name and he needs help.

you can always find new ballast and t5 retro's for cheap rather then buying them brand new.

The light you posted: $1000

To DIY a quality setup
Fatboyt's Lumenarcs x3 = $150
E-ballasts x3 = $405
T-5 retrofit kit = $99-$229

Basically a high quality DIY cost near the same as the fixture you posted.

Pros
fixture; no hood, cleaner look, less heat, less work to install, more intense longer lasting MH bulb
DIY; better reflectors, ability to use reflector for other wattage of bulbs, ability to change T-5 end caps to VHO or vise versa, bigger MH bulb selction, less expensive MH bulb replacement

Cons
Fixture; open top means fish can easily jump, difficult to upgrade single components, some fixtures have inadequate built in cooling, have to hide wires somehow
DIY; a hood is likely necessary, can be a mess of wires, requires a small amount of DIY skills and tools,

Im sure there are alot more pros and cons, but the school system is calling my son's name and he needs help.

For the cost I like that fixture. you get allot out of it for the money. All your other equipment looks like it should make for a pretty solid system. The only issue I see is using vortechs. After hearing about how a vortech melted 1"+thick acrylic on a locals very large display and poor customer service that followed I wouldn't recommend them (correct me if i'm wrong on this info anyone). If you are set on going with powerheads over going closed loop then I would say koralias or tunze's (tunze's preferred). Having been someone that used powerheads for years and now gone closed loop on my latest tank I dont think i'll be going back to powerheads on any future display tanks.

Tom

Back