First Macro Shots with new lens

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ya i've shot some at iso 200, a few at 400 i think, i might start using text books for my tripod with a timer since the tripod i have is too tall to allow my camera to be perpendicular to the things at the bottom of the tank thanks for the tips i'll look through for sherman's posts too after dinner

o ya, he's definitly one of my favorites, sherman also has really nice photos, i just haven't seen as many macros from him, bigT is also a great photographer

*edit i just read sherman scrap book thread on his tank, he has a lot of amazing macros, right up there with blazer

Last edited:
again thanks all for all the helpful tips, the perpendicular to the glass helped a ton with sharpening the images, i did some more shooting today and here are my pics, only the fire and ice is edited for contrast change w/o color change and all of them were brought up +2/3 or +1 exp comp level, i used only the shade setting for white balance. this leaves the pictures a tad bluer then in real life but it's something to be worked on.

Fire and Ice Frag
FireandIceZoanthid.jpg

Rainbow Palys again, this time shot was perpendicular, notice it's sharper
RainbowPalys2.jpg

Pocillopora shot
PocilloporaShot.jpg

Green Palys - I'm looking at giving away a free frag of these sometime in the near future as they were a free frag from blazer, they grow real quick
GreenPalys.jpg

Ricordia Yuma, again notice how much sharper this one is because the shot was taken perpendicular to glass, and the shot was a bit closer too i think
RicordiaYuma2-1.jpg

Also in terms of contrast, i've found using nikon editor's auto contrast with color change gives my picture more realistic colors than what i have but i like being able to say i didn't edit them for anything other than exposure comp and sometimes wb, any tips on getting better contrast or is this partly adjusting white balance more?

Now those shots are hot! It looks like you got your money's worth. Don't worry about editing your photo's, it is just part of the game. The sensors are not made to take images from the temperature of light we use, so if you want them to look good, you have to edit. Both blazer and sherman heavily edit their photo's

here's another colony of zoas right after i moved it, with color editing,
OrangeCenterZoas.jpg

here's a random montipora i got from the same rock as my orange zoas with orange skirts, barrier reef aquariums, didn't charge any extra knowing it was there when we found it on the rock <--- shameless plug for a great lfs
Montipora-1.jpg

thank you, with all the good resources here it makes it a lot easier, couldn't have done it with out all the help i've gotten

Back