First SW tank.. tons of dumb questions! Help a newb get started? :)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sounds like a good plan!
So, a "sump" is just another tank of similar size that acts as a gigantic, living filter? I'm not sure I'm 100% on how they work.
My understanding was they take water from your tank, run it through all the live rock/moss/algae/whatever/(???) and then shoot it back up into the tank after it's "washed" through the beneficial goodies.

How to build/plumb/conceal one.. no clue lol.
I'm assuming if I have a sump I would just need a protein skimmer + carbon in it, and that would do? Or would I still need a filter? Sorry to be dumb about it all, just sort of confusing. There's a lot more equipment involved in SW it seems.

If your looking to put a sump on your Hex that is already running it might be better for you to find a good used HOB overflow rather than breaking it all down and drilling. All filtration done in a sump CAN be done by hang on the back filters but they are not as effective and well they look horrible after you have 4 items hanging on to the tank lol. You will place your skimmer in the sump so that it is out of sight when viewing your tank, also the sump gives you a place to grow macro algae and other random little critters like copepods, If you build it right you will also have a way to add filter media like a filter sock and carbon/phosphate sponge or something else if you need it later on. I myself will never go back to a non-sump system unless I get really crazy and build a surge tank one day.

Imo you don't need a protein skimmer, you can get a aquaclear filter rated for a 20 to 30 gallon, maybe even bigger ( couldn't hurt ) stick a foam cover over the syphon. turn that into your refugium, or just a good 3 stage filter, on top of wc, as far as power heads, depending on how deep your tank is, you will want a powerhead that creates 18 to 30x the flow rate. Lots off ppl can vouch for that. And want to great turbulent flow. I have a nano cube with 50x the flow rate, and you want great lighting, not just good. I've only been in this hobby since late Jan but I've learned quick, and reading help me out a lot.

HTC EVO

^ Thanks. A lot of people say I don't need any kind of skimmer or sump on a tank that small, but I'd need to stay on top of wc's. The skimmer seems like it may be a good idea, a sump I feel would be overkill for a 12 g hex lol... but it's good to learn about either way, because I'm sure someday I'll be venturing into that with a bigger tank.

So for now I just need to get together some cash, get the testing kit and a skimmer, and then investigate some lights.
I feel like the tank is probably close to being cycled since it's been up and running for about 2 weeks, but no way to tell without the test kit :/

Don’t be too anxious. It may take about 6-8 weeks for a cycle. Have you used anything to get the cycle started. Some people use a piece of raw shrimp to get the cycle started.

I'm not saying a sump is 100% necessary but the more water volume you have the more stable the system usually is. I read (maybe on here) that someone has something like a 10 or 20 gallon display and a 55 gallon sump/refugium.

Like IPISCES said you can't jump on the cycle. I thought my 20H would cycle faster than my 75 because I used some sand from my 75 and 4 gallons of old water from it and it actually took almost 5 weeks for it to cycle completely. Raw shrimp works well as she said also but I think getting some live sand from an established aquarium is the best option.

Well, we initially had the rock sitting in sw in a 6 gal for 2 weeks cycling, with shrimp in there to rot/decompose.
Then we moved the rock, filter media, and saltwater to the 12 g hex and filled the rest of the way with new water.
I also dosed 3-4 drops of ammonia in the tank for a week and used the bacteria in a bottle to help "kick-start" things. Overall, it's probably been about 3-4 weeks.

I set up my powerhead! Literally just let it hang there submersed at the top... it'll have to do for now, since there's no mounting hardware.

Also found this little guy crawling around on the rock!

photo44.jpg

Any ideas what this is?!
Looks like a tiny white starfish...

Looks like a mini brittle star to me too. I have some in my pico that are white like that too.
Well it sounds like you are probably ready to go. You have snails in there yet?

Not yet - I don't have a test kit :( I was using the freshwater one.
I'm sure I could add a snail or crab, but I'm wanting to get a kit first just to play it safe. Good idea?

So I'm looking at some lights and I found this par38 LED reef bulb on amazon for $65
Amazon.com: Dimmable High Power Par38 White + Blue LED Aquarium Reef Corals Grow Light Bulb, 1325w+b: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Is this what I want?

I've seen a lot of links for reef lights and they always have different color options; white, blue, actinic, pink, etc. What am I looking for here?

Since this tank is fairly small I'm probably going to stick to zoas, mushrooms, kenya tree, and maybe a brain coral (if I could... I wouldn't lose any sleep if it's not feasible)

Do different corals require different color light?

And this looks like a typical screw-in bulb. Do the par38 lights just screw into a regular old socket like a standard lightbulb?

that ones got some shaky reviews janky. Ud b better of getting a $80-$120 one... and 60d optics! rapidsledsecoexoticecorays...something like thathths-d

I agree. You get something that turnes out doesnt work, you will be spending the extra for a good one anyway.

Is this the one you were talking about 1guy?
Ecoxotic PAR38 LED Aquarium Lights
Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: Ecoxotic PAR38 LED Aquarium Lamps
think it's on sale too, and I have a coupon for dr foster and smith (I think) so maybe I can pick this up sometime this week :)
What color spectrum do I want? Or does it matter?

I picked up a couple more chunks of live rock and a bumble bee snail + emerald green crab. They both seem to be doing well so far, so I'll give them a week or so and look into a shrimp and goby at that point.

Are there any other fish choices I may have that would be reef safe and do ok in a tank this small? I know ocellaris clowns are out, cardinals are out.. most of the 'nano fish' on liveaquaria are 20+ gal (hardly nano :p)
I would think about a firefish, but they are supposedly 'jumpers' and if I get that LED fixture with the clip on arm I'd have to leave the tank top off...

Ideas? Or should I just stick to shrimp + goby?

+1 green clown gobys or the yellow ones...their tiny...Yes those are good...ove got 3 20k ones and one 12k one. I was thinking about getting one or two of their new ones that have magenta in em.

Ok, so it's just personal preference of color then? I'd probably do half white/half blues... if it doesn't effect the coral options or anything...

Back