First tank disaster.........

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pitmam01

Blondie911
So i had my first disaster in my tank. Everything in my tank looked like crap, crusty sand, wimpy looking coral etc. I guess my salinity had dropped to 1.016 and for some idiotic reason, I hadn't tested it for two weeks. :mad: Once noticed, I did a water change and it is now up to normal. I lost about 4 corals and some others aren't looking too good. I've always been a fanatic about testing my water but I didn't realize my salinity level could drop like that. Feel like I'm starting all over again.............:(

Probably so, I have had alot of evaporation lately. Especially since I got my new skimmer. Adjusting it etc, figuring out where to set it since it was brand new and was breaking in. Yet another valuable lesson learned.

How did it drop? I see an increase due to evaporation

Bummer...Sorry to hear that. I agree though...Kinda strange for it to drop like that as I would think it would rise unless your skimmer was pumping out tons of salt water and you were just replacing it with fresh.

Hope everything works out for you:)

I have a lot of evaporation also and my salt levels have dropped. But the salt level only seems to drop a bit.

How is top off water added to your system? If you are using an ATO, too much FW could be added due to lack of a siphon break or a stuck pump, you'd have to replace almost 40% of your salt water volume with FW to get a drop from 1.025 to 1.016, is this a nano, otherwise it should be pretty easy to track down...

As others have stated, evaporation should have zero effect on salinity, the salt doesn't evaporate, just the H2O. The skimmer does remove saltwater though.

I would consider your salinity testing as suspect. You using a float, box type, or a refractometer?

I add fresh water almost daily. I won't have an ato until my new sump comes in. Tank size is 90 gallon. I didn't have any water spillage or anything so I am just at a loss (so to speak). :(

How is top off water added to your system? If you are using an ATO, too much FW could be added due to lack of a siphon break or a stuck pump, you'd have to replace almost 40% of your salt water volume with FW to get a drop from 1.025 to 1.016, is this a nano, otherwise it should be pretty easy to track down...

I use a refractometer and check the calibration with purified water.

As others have stated, evaporation should have zero effect on salinity, the salt doesn't evaporate, just the H2O. The skimmer does remove saltwater though.

I would consider your salinity testing as suspect. You using a float, box type, or a refractometer?

It goes back and forth since I manually add water, I have to then adjust the skimmer. I've had sludge and I've had overflows of "beer" after adding water. I have it adjusted lower right now.

How wet is your skimmer running? Thick greenish brown sludge or thin beer colored water?

Assuming that your tank has no leaks (not always a safe assumption) and that your measurement of salinity is accurate, than the best guess as to where the salt went, would be in the skimmate. Keep it set for dry skimmate and ignore the skimmer when the skimmate level drops due to any tank changes.

I think you mixed up the salt water with your top off fresh water and during the last water change you added the freshwater.

I have a similar problem keeping track of which 5 gallon container contains mixed salt water and which ones are full of rodi top off water.

I know I made that mistake before, my wife shuffled the 5 gallon jugs and I in a hurry did not check salinity before adding new salt water, i added 5 gallons of fresh instead.

Now I mark the bottles when mixing new salt, marked = salt un marked = fresh

What a pain in the arse.

Actually, I don't allow the two in the same room, lol, for that very reason.

I think you mixed up the salt water with your top off fresh water and during the last water change you added the freshwater.

I have a similar problem keeping track of which 5 gallon container contains mixed salt water and which ones are full of rodi top off water.

I know I made that mistake before, my wife shuffled the 5 gallon jugs and I in a hurry did not check salinity before adding new salt water, i added 5 gallons of fresh instead.

What a pain in the arse.

Ok, thanks!!!!

quote=Herefishyfishy;314104]Assuming that your tank has no leaks (not always a safe assumption) and that your measurement of salinity is accurate, than the best guess as to where the salt went, would be in the skimmate. Keep it set for dry skimmate and ignore the skimmer when the skimmate level drops due to any tank changes.[/quote]

Question, Why are you having to adjust the skimmer each time you top off. Is the chamber the skimmer in have a consistent water height? If not this will make it very hard to adjust the skimmer. Just seem weird you'd have to adjust the skimmer that much.

Just taste it. :D

What a pain in the arse.

Back