First time tank design 90gal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I would like some help figuring out what exactly I need to do to get a wet-sump system setup w/ overflow & fuge.

so over the weekend I acquired a 90gal 1/2" thick glass acquarium. it came with what looks like a no name outdoor pond sump a magnum 350 canister filter and I think a 20 gal bio-ball wet-sump encloser (with alot of balls).

I would like some help figuring out what exactly I need to do to get a wet-sump system setup w/ overflow & fuge.

from what I have read I need a weir, I can easily build one out of acrylic if I know how big I should build it..

I would like to build a sump box that could house my sump (prob something I need to purchase) something liek this is what I have in mind http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/e/sump_model_e.html

could anyone give me some advice on what I should be looking to build next? I will get measurements of my stand tomorrow but I believe it is 51x23x38"

I would also like some ideas for what I can use for filtration, algae's what I need to make out of black acrylic so that things dont grow.. etc etc.. where to use live sand, where to use live rock so on and so forth.

As fr the sump just put the skimmer in the first compartment and live rock/sand/algaes in the middle and return pump in the end, your rockin.

If those are the correct inside dimensions of you stand then you have a lot of options for a diy sump. First that come to mine would be a 40gallon breeder 36x18x16 or a 55 gallon 48x15x18.

Brian

if you dont mind me asking, what is a breeder? like the skinny cheap tanks?

also does anyone have any recommendations for a skimmer, how to setup the overflow (should I bother trying to drill 1/2inch glass?)

should I build a weir or stick with the tube suction style that I currently have? (I think I only have 1 of the boxs though)

if you dont mind me asking, what is a breeder? like the skinny cheap tanks?

also does anyone have any recommendations for a skimmer, how to setup the overflow (should I bother trying to drill 1/2inch glass?)

should I build a weir or stick with the tube suction style that I currently have? (I think I only have 1 of the boxs though)

I'm not sure why they call it a breeder tank but I think just because the shape. I have no clue about drilling glass my tank is acrylic but I have watched some good videos on youtube about it. All I know is you use a diamond whole saw bit and use a lot of water with slow steady pressure.

Brian

After talking with my local aquarium shop (blue sierra in issaquah) I decided not to drill the tank because if its tempered glass it will simply explode on me and that doesnt sound like fun.

So I purchased an evolution 500 skimmer that came with a sump .. I got a sump w the tank but im not sure what the gallons per hour is but I think I can rig it up as a return pump

so if I have figured this out I need to build a weir, if I do an acrylic weir the syphon is built into it and it drains down into my 1st chamber of my refugium that also feeds my protein skimmer (do i need another pump for this?) the water gets skimmed and is by passed into the #2 chamber that has some form of algae in it, then it gets pushed through several baffles to the return pump and back up into the tank. Where does the return pump go? do I just put some pretty hose on it and let it shoot water into the tank?

I also have my eye on 2 power heads just to create some motion within my tank.. I havent figured out all of my plumbing yet but I think I have a decent idea on how to rig this up if my previous statements are correct.

Back