Fish for Nano tanks? :]

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pooty

I just got my first ever saltwater set up - 15.5g
And after I get used to having the live rocks I plan on putting a fish or two in...
I was wondering what types of smaller fish and critters people recommended for a nano saltwater aquariums? :]
I know that gobies are popular in smaller tanks... What else? :]

Thanks! :]

Last edited:
Once the initial water complete cycled, I'd put a damsel to test the water out. They are very hardy and could take a lot.

I would skip the fish especially a damsel they are mean and aggressive and will be in that small of a tank...... use a Piece of table shrimp toss a small piece in there for a week then remove it and let it cycle from there. this is the hard part of this hobby waiting for the cycle if you do less problems down the road is for sure.

I would skip the fish especially a damsel they are mean and aggressive and will be in that small of a tank...... use a Piece of table shrimp toss a small piece in there for a week then remove it and let it cycle from there. this is the hard part of this hobby waiting for the cycle if you do less problems down the road is for sure.

So I shouldn't get fish all together with my small tank? Or just until the water has cycled and been tested?

Yeah, If you put a damsel in you have to get it out.... I had a yellow clown goby, a small cleaner shrimp, a snapping shrimp with a goby. Some mushrooms and zoeantids. You can also get some of the cooler red or green culerpa to help in algae control.

Let it cycle.

Wait until all your readings are back down to 0's.

Spend the $4 or $5 dollars on some hermit crabs and see if they make it. If they do, re-check your water and SLOWLY add more live stock.

In your tank you'll probably want a couple of fish in there (a goby, clown, and maybe a blenny). Just make sure you research your fish choices and make sure they will be able to live their entire life in your setup, as if you purchase a fish to allow it to "grow out" of your current set up, something may come up and you may not end up being able to get the bigger set up when it's needed.

I would stay away from the damsel's to use them as a "tester" fish. That's what test kits are for. :D

I'd agree with BigBlue. Wait until you water checks are 0 for nitrites,nitrates and ammonia, then start adding your cleaner crew. And be sure to add fish that you WANT to keep. And make sure they will not out grow your system, example is no tangs in a small sized tank. :0)

IMO avoid putting a fish (damsel or others) just to see if the water is okay. What are you going to do with the fish if it lives? Why waste a fishes life in this way too (if it dies). This IMO is just sensless reefkeeping.

The way I started all my tanks small or large is with LR and then a cleaner crew. After about 3-4 weeks then I add a fish or 2. Fo a small sized tank I would not put any more than 2 fish in at a time to avoid ammonia spikes. And I would probably limit it to 3 maybe 4 fish max. They need swimming room along with room to play.

These are just some recommendations and my opinions. Cheers,
Alex

also agree with bigblue, i would not be putting in a $20 cleaner shrimp yet. stick with some scarlet hermit crabs. they'll give you something to look at while it cycles and are great great crabs to have in your CUC.

also agree with bigblue, i would not be putting in a $20 cleaner shrimp yet. stick with some scarlet hermit crabs. they'll give you something to look at while it cycles and are great great crabs to have in your CUC.

+1. Scarlet hermits along with some blue legged hermits and a variety of snails. Add these in gradually over the next couple of weeks.

Also careful mixing hermits and snails as the hermits may kill the snails for their shells a few empty shells laying around may help save the snails :) I much prefer snails only for the clean up crew, they can get everywhere and are better at algae control imo, and they don't bicker and harass each other for their shells.

I really can only recommend Gobies for that small of a tank, luckily there are tons to chose from :) A good mid water swimmer that you will see most of the time is a firefish and they are fairly inexpensive but make sure your tank is mostly covered as they are quite the great jumpers.

Like everyone else said make sure your tank is completely cycled before you add anything, once it is start with your cleanup crew.

Thank you everyone for your great advice :]

But yes, I know about the tank cycle and such, and I had no intention of getting any fish until its fully cycled and the water had been tested :]
Though I am very exited about all these options! And i'll be putting up pictures of my cute nano soon! :]

I personally would suggest a watchman goby .. love mine doesnt get big and isnt to aggresive. THo mine protects his cave pretty good.

Damsels have their place. Usually in a larger aquarium where you can school them. IMO it seems that if you have two or three they bicker all the time and chase stuff around. Now if you have say 12 or 15 they chase each other around and try and keep their own territory. In a small tank that is not possible. Most damsels actually can grow quite large now matter what the book says. I think a lot of these books where written when the animals did not survive as long and the tanks where smaller. LOL Someone should update some of those. The reason they use damsels to cycle is be cause they are gvery hardy and CHEAP. Clown fish are also damsel fish, you can you those but if they die you are out more money. Another thing I did with my small nano was to buy some of the feeeder ghost shrimp and I slowly converted them over for my test subjects. They survived a long time.

Apparently, people don't like damsels :)

Yes and no. A 15 gallon aquarium is pretty unforgiving when it comes to water quality and stability and you are very limited on fish for this size tank. Damsels are active high energy fish and can become aggressive as they mature. Your best option may be a single small goby for this tank, maybe paired with a shrimp in this case as others have recommended. How about a Dracula Goby? It would be the super star of your tank:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+2755&pcatid=2755

Back