Fission Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

moortim

Mountain Goat
Hey everyone, I am in the process of setting up a 10gallon nano and have been looking for a skimmer. The problem is I don't have the money for a tunze, or aquac or anything like them. I have seen some stuff on the Current Fission skimmer and would like a little more info. Does anyone have one? How good are they? Do they fill the tank with bubbles? Are they worth $30? Marine Depot claims they can be in sump or hang on back but I can't tell. I kind of need a hob since I won't have a sump.

Any help on this would be great. I am getting excited about my up and coming nano tank. If this skimmer isn't that good then I will just go skimmerless for now.

Tim

The reason they are on close-out is because they do not work as well as claimed. I have heard from a couple of fellow reefer's that tried them and they did not like them. hard to dial in and puts bubbles in the tank are the to most things I have heard. Hope this helps.

Yeah I figured that even at $30 there must be a side effect for being that cheap. I also figured they didn't have the greatest history from the little I saw before. I guess what I am looking for is anyone who had success with one. Is there anyone who got one dialed in to where it worked? Or did everyone give up on it?

Thanks for the link Krish, if I decide to get one it will be from them.

Thanks for the link Krish, if I decide to get one it will be from them

No problem and good luck! If you decide not to use them, I'd check around the equipment for sale forum and see if anyone has an Acua C remora or something similar they are parting with cheap if you don't want to spend a ton of money or even start up a "I'm looking for..." thread to try and locate something good in your price range.:)

Don't do it man! lol

I was a sucker for the fission scam when I set up my 12 gallon cube. They don't work. Not even a little bit.

Only upside is that you can use the pump to mix your change water when you throw the rest in the garbage.

Don't do it man! lol

I was a sucker for the fission scam when I set up my 12 gallon cube. They don't work. Not even a little bit.

Only upside is that you can use the pump to mix your change water when you throw the rest in the garbage.

:lol: :lol:
Yeah I think I will bypass the fission after doing all kinds of searching on them. I found a thread on RC about one person that spent a million hours modding one to get it to work. I don't think I want to do that, I am trying to simplify my life.

Thanks for the input. I am going skimmerless for now I think.

Tim

hey marc - would that skimmer you just url'ed also work well on an aquapod 24? of course i just bought one today after missing out on yours.

thats a good question, if i remember correctly, the aquapod 24g has a 2 1/2 x 5 " hole on each side of the back filter to hang something on there, the hqi model of coarse, the p.c. model lid gets in the way, you cant hang anything off it.
i could fit an aqua c remora on the back, f.y.i.

yeah, i noticed that octopus has a HOB skimmer now as well. so you would recommend the Aqua Remora Nano for the 24 HQI?

Ok I ordered one, now I just have to wait for the UPS man.
I have trusted your opinion before Mark, so I am sure it will perform nicely.:)

Tim

No problem, It looks to me like a knockoff of several others so it should be good.

We will see:)
I love buying new tank stuff!

Tim

I bought a jebo hob not too long ago all I can say is I am so glad my lfs let me return it. After I started it I could not see my tank through the microbubbles and I wont even get into how it overflowed a few times :evil:

ok guys I got my little Odyssea skimmer yesterday so I set it up on my 55 to see how it works. My first impression when pulling it out of the box was that it is pretty good quality for 35 bucks. It took me about 5 minutes to rinse it off, put it together and have it hanging on my tank running.
I hasn't broken in yet so it really isn't working right but my first impression is pretty positive. I will need to do a small mod so it won't take up half my 10 gallon tank back (the u-tube connecting the pump to the skimmer is a little long) and maybe eventually find a smaller pump. It is a needle wheel pump but it is cheap (however I am very forgiving given the price) and the skimmer as a whole makes a bit of noise. My biggest problem is the way it controls micro-bubbles, there is a sponge that fits over the output from the skimmer to catch them and I really don't want any sponges in my tank producing nitrates. Of course once the skimmer breaks in it may not have such a bubble problem.
I will try and borrow a camera this weekend so I can get some pictures and post them.

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of..... I read some pretty poor reviews of it on RC. I think I may just go with a Remora or something on the my new pod. or the Tunze nano skimmer.

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of..... I read some pretty poor reviews of it on RC. I think I may just go with a Remora or something on the my new pod. or the Tunze nano skimmer.

I would love the remora nano but I just don't have the money for that. Basically I am willing to give this one a shot so I don't have to spend a lot. If it doesn't work in the long run I will just go skimmerless. It is only a 10 gallon tank.
In all honesty it has worked fine so far. I can't say anything bad about it until it has been running a few days.

Back