Flourescent bulbs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jhampton_wsu

I supplement my 2 MH lamps with flourescent's. I'll admit that I know what t-5's are but I'm not sure what VHO and HO are. I have a Coralife 50/50 square pin bulb in my fourescent fixture is this Very High Output or just High Output? Also, I just ordered new bulbs for my MH lamps. I'm going with the Radium DE 150's. What bulb is recommended for my flourescent light which comes on before and turns off after my MH? Also do I need to change out my flourescent bulb before it burns out? I realize that the MH lose par so they need to be changed before they burn out but does this affect the fourescnet bulbs as well?

Jason

Jason,
Flourescent bulbs burn best at designed temperatures. After seeing a presentation by James Fatheree I was reminded of that. You do not want to house a flourescent bulb close to a bulb that burns as hot as Metal Halides do. This may be one reason why people burn through Flourescent bulbs so quickly. Factors that limit bulb life are heat, time of use besides moisture, electrical problems. Time of use for example, You run bulbs a few hours a day compared to 12 hours a day for months. So I recommend after lectures this week end to house bulbs in individual reflectors away from Metal halides. Allow bulb to run efficiently at designed temperature and hopefully this will extend the life of your bulb. Good Luck!
Ed:)
A ballast that runs cooler is usally more efficient than one that runs Hot.

Florescents do lose par after a few months- How much a light meter will show you.

Normal output ( T-12)/compact/High Output( T-5's)/and Very High Output(T-12)/ are all Florescent bulbs.

The differences being the amount of voltage used and the intensity(watts/Par) of the light being created, As well as the shape and connector type and the ballast required.

Most people use actinic lighting in either t-5 or VHO for a sunrise sunset effect that also has a neta ability to make to corals floress like the old black light posters.

Paul

Thanks, I didn't know that about the heat but I don't think that my MH's are heating up my flourecents but who knows. I think I'll wait until Friday when my Radium's show up and let them work for a while then decide which bulb I want to add to my t-12 fixture.

Back