flow and wave timers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dlove18

copepod
I upgraded my flow last night. I have a 55 and was running a mag 7 return and 2 MJ 1200 for about 1100 gph. I picked up a couple of sure flow 1600 uprades and installed them on 2 MJ 900s. they claim 1600gph on these things and that may be true. (they are amazing)so with 2 modded 900s and the mag 7 that could be as much as 3700gph(67x turnover?). the current was REALLY strong. if there is a wave timer that works, running one at a time would still give me about 2100gph which is about 38x turnover. I'd really like to have one in each end of the tank and alternate them every 3 minutes or so.

suggestions for a quality wavetimer? how often to switch the flow?

BTW: with just one of the monster 900s running last night one of my SPS frags started to change from tan to pink.

thanks,

dan

Hello Dan,

I use an Ocean Pulse Duo - its cheap and works perfectly. You can adjust the time interval quite a bit as well. I really do think it was one of the smarter purchases I made.

The link works just fine for me. Any of the wave timer controllers will work. I have the ocean pulse duo on one tank with a MJ sureflow mod too. The one in the link above looks just fine as well. It may actually be able to take a higher amp load than the duo wich for some, is a good thing. The only problem with these types of timers is that they are a "hard start" timer which gives From 0 to 100% power. Its hard on any powerhead motor to start this way. Some controllers such as a neptune aquacontroller have soft start outlets with brings the power on more slowy which is better for the pump wiring. Other controllers like a SEIO or Tunze controller never completely shut the power off or simply ramps it down slowing the impellar thus reducing the flow, which in most cases is best. As with any turbine powerhead, (ie. maxi mod, tunze, hydor, SEIO) when you start them up they sometimes chatter due to the impellar trying to spin in the wrong direction. This also reduces the lifespane of the pump. ALOT of reefers use these hard start timers for the less expensive powerheads including myself. When you pay several hundred for a tunze powerhead get the tunze controllers. I just thought Id share some knowledge

Last edited:
thanks for the responses. I picked up a SEIO pump controller. It was the only pump controller in the LFS and it was on sale.

it's not really what I was looking for. instead of switching pumps, it just changes the flow of both pumps at the same time from 50% to 100%. I guess I'll just order one of the hard start timers.

anyone need a SEIO pump controller cheap?

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~TA3771.html

thanks,

dan

The SEIO controller is actually a much better way to go. With the props you do not want to be turning them off and on. First they have a 50/50 chance of starting in the wrong direction, which causes the prop to hit the stop and then hopefully restart in the correct direction. Second if any fish go into the unit when it is off, they will be puree when the unit turns back on. The SEIO controller slows them down and speeds them back so you don't have either problem and they will last a lot longer and be safer for all of your fish.

If you really want to sell, how much for it?

Kim

Back