Flying with livestock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

inafishschool

Anyone had experience flying the friendly skies with livestock? ---Especially since 9/11? My dad is coming to visit from back east (Rhode Island), and I would like to send him home with some frags for his tank (mostly softies). I imagine a carry-on is out of the question (3 oz. liquid max.), but what about checked baggage such as a cooler with the livestock?

I would think it would be fine as long as you have the proper packaging. IE: Hot/cold pack etc. etc. You might be able to ask you LFS store for a shipping box since that's how they get their live animals.

I recently brought some corals back from L.A. on Southwest and they made me buy a wax coated box so there would be no leaks. They also told me that next time I could bring an Igloo cooler and put the bagged corals in it with a hot pack and check that.

I took one down to Reno with me when I was there a few weeks back with the hopes that I could bring a couple frags back with me, but the LFS down there are nowhere near the quality of what we have here and I could not find anything worth bringing back.

It's best to take them as carry-on, and package them in a container that will allow air to enter/escape, as the plane has a pressurized cabin...if you don't, you risk having the bag rupture...

MikeS

carry on

Yeah, carry-on makes most sense. But since last summer airlines won't let any liquids in carry-on luggage through the security checkpoint. I suppose if you showed them live animals in the liquid they might let it through. But I would hate to get turned away at that point.

i red something somewhere about someone who had to leave there coral at the gate, or miss a 500$ plane ticket.

your not aloud to bring them. but i dont think they would go off in a metel detector. a bag backed in a carry on,

you could probly ask the desk get the manger or something like that....

Maybe

That's another point...I wonder what the X-ray machine would do to the corals...it would be a shame to end up nukeing them...

MikeS

i highly doubt that would happen..... i was woundering more along the lines, If

the corals past thur the detector would they see it? now stony's would come up with outta a doubt. probly invets also. but i wounder about softies

Back