foam insulation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
i need to lift my acrylic tank up a couple inches for plumbing clearance. i know people put the thin foam insulation under there tanks. i was wondering if i could use the 2" thick stuff? im just worried the weight might compress the foam to much or unevenly

The foam is amazingly solid. I get ~1/16" or so deformation in a few years with a glass tank (1/2" block). Can you shorten the plumbing by cutting down treads?

alright cool thanks. the stand is kinda short and im trying to put a swcd and a george fischer valve on. plus the stand has some tall trim which covers the bottom 2.5 inches of the tank so instead of redoing it ill lift the tank and help both my issues

Let us know how it works man. I would have never thought in a million years that the weight of a tank wouldn't compress foam. Interested to see how well it works.

Good luck! :)

i went to lowes today and got the high density blue foam. here after a bit im going to cut it out to the shape of my corner tank. i watched a show the other day where they are building roads on top of foam now. instead of fill they dig down to solid ground and put large chunks of foam down then pave over the top. guess its cheaper and the foam wont get soft and create pot holes

yes that ridged insulation holds concrete back on all the new SLAB ON GRADE apartments and schools we build..
it goes against the wall and slab goes up against it.
heck, one place we layed down vapor barrier, then two inches of ridged insulation, then underfloor heating then wire mesh, and 4" of concrete on top of all that,,, it holds up a slab 4" thick. ITS GOOD STUFF I can get it 24"x8' foot all day long!

Last edited:
Let us know how it works man. I would have never thought in a million years that the weight of a tank wouldn't compress foam. Interested to see how well it works.

If you can stand on it without leaving a dent you have a good start.

Back