Frankie's 120gal. glass experiment

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Frankie

RF Premium Member
Hello everyone, i have been working on a tank for the last few months and need to share with you all what i've done so far and learn from all your ideas.
I started a thread in another forum on it a few weeks ago and have gotten some really nice coments but no advice really. I dont think there are many there that have this type of tank and know this forum to be more on the crazy side that ive found myself going too. Let me start from the beginning.
It all started after seeing Nikki's 120 gal. and the bulb over my head lit up. I had a 120 gal. tank that was given to me and i thought I could do the same as her but build it all myself. I had a 90 gal. glass dsb tank for the last 3 years or so and never really liked it. I knew i could do better. So i got busy.
The first thing i did was ask nikki for her spec's and she provided me with her threads. Then i pm'ed MOJO over and over again to wonderful advice till i thought i was pushing it and went to work. I took some 1/4" black acrylic and bent my corner boxes. (got it perfect on the second try) Then over much debate over clear for the trough, i got some more black, 1/2" for the bottom and 1/4" for the front wall of the trough. I cut into the top sides of my corner boxes and glued in the trough with weldon #3. worked great:) i took the tank to my local glass dude and had him drill the back of the tank. He didnt want to drill the bottom so useing his tools i did it myself. NBD really. Oh, the trough overflow teeth i cut useing a jig i made with my router and are 3/8" wide x 3/4" deep. The closed loop holes are 1 1/2" for the returns and overflows and 2" holes for the outputs. I was going to use a sheet of starboard for impact reasons but Witfull gave me the great idea to go with black acrylic and it came out very nice. I used silicone to glue it, first i did a zig zag and layed it on top, then after a few days i sealed it around the edges letting the gases excape before i did. tomorrow ill have some pictures up or tonight, and i'll tell about the filtration. Thank you for reading and i look forward to your replys :) Frankie

pics of the old 90 gal.

heres a picture of my 90 that i replaced. was fun but no flow. notice the tiny overflow in the upper left corner. the tank is a jetstream. Good for freshwater angels:) going to give it to my 6 year old girl i think. Her angels are getting big.

Hi Frankie!

That new tank is looking awesome! Love that closed loop plumbing.

- Elmo

Great job Frankie looks great. The closed loop looks great and with glass best job I have ever seen. How hard was it drilling the glass?

Good luck Dave

Frankie - can you give us a run down on the equipment you will be using on the tank (pumps, skimmer, lighting, etc)? Also, what you will be keeping in the tank. You should really be proud of the job you have done. The coast to coast you made looks great. Post more pics as you go!!!

Franky looking good buddy, You know on your 90 and under the proper medications your aquascaping looks like two rock men doing battle lol. Ok think its time for more, lol

Mike

mojoreef said:
You know on your 90 and under the proper medications your aquascaping looks like two rock men doing battle lol. Ok think its time for more, lol

Mike

Ummm....yeah. Actually, I can see exactly what you are talking about and I'm not medicated.........just extremely tired. :)

Keep the pics coming Frankie!

up date.

Sorry nikki i dont have a skimmer on it,too soon. The old skimmer on the 90 was good for that time but I want to build a better one for this one. I dont see that i need one so quick yet so im holding outfor the time being. I want a out of sump one this time so ill wait.
The sump/ refugium is like the one i had on the 90 but 75 gallons. That was a glass 30 gal. This one is a 75 gal. Tenacor i used and abused:) Its an elvevated mud system. The point is that gases wont build up in the mud over time. I keep carlarpa and mangroves in it and plan on seahorses and such for live stock. It is all going to be on display under the 120 in the entertainment center im going to build around it. yes i plan on putting the tv, kids xbox, dvd ect. next to it since i dont watch much but ball games. Go yanks! lol. so here's pictures of that idea.
just so you all know, this tank has been giving me greef. Had a leak and the whole thing is now in a 500 gallon drum in the wifes sun room. im getting it under control but the aquascaping is not that way anymore since its filled with freshwater testing for leaks. Im sure its fixed now and will be setting it all up tomorrow night. The leak turned out to be in the tanks bottom seal:( In the mean time i up graded the plumbing on the closed loop to 1 1/2" for the outputs to the ampmaster 3000. Its a lot more flow now that i did that i notice in the freshwater testing. I'll have mor in a few days for you all. thanks for all the kind words:)

Update, the leak is stoped so ill be doing the scaping tomorrow since i was framing a basement all day and night. Im beat! The fish and rock is all back and need to tweak it. Saturday i go to get some monti caps in pennsylvania the sunday ill start the framing for the entertainment center.

Awesome, Frankie! Take pics of the aquascaping as you go, so we can see your process.

Sorry everyone. My tanks running well but my heart is not into it at the moment. Friday night my dog got hit by a car and it was really bad. I acted fast and got him to a 24 hour animal clinic and he's still going. Its not looking to good but I transfered him to my vet this morning and there trying there best with him. He was hit bad and should have died but he's a big dog and young. I dont want to clutter this thread with it all at the moment cause i haven't been to bed since i woke on friday morning and need rest. I have been with him all the way. If anyone wants to read more I have more info on my other thread.http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7101&page=5&pp=15 It starts at the bottom. Ill get back to the tank when this is ovr and get pic's for you all. It looks great and the leak is fixed.

Frankie - I'm so sorry to hear that!!! Thinking of you and your dog (beautiful btw), and let us know how his recovery is going.

:( I hope he pulls through Frankie. Keep us posted.

One of my horses was severly poisoned (he ate dried red maple leafs) a few years back.. I had to sleep at the barn to change his IV bags for 5 full days, crush vit C pills and squirt it in his mouth, and sponge bathe him with water/alcohol to keep his temp down. He was expected to die ... but didn't :D

Back