Frankie's 120gal. glass experiment

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FFrankie said:
At work today a bird flew ovr me and pooped on me.lol. after that i went on an estimate and landed a big job. I hear it's good luck to get pooped on by a bird and think i believe it now. :)

Just to let you know, A bird crapping on you means good fortune in Europe. It something that rarely happens so it viewed as very positive. I just thought I would let ya know.

Frankie - thanks for the update! Now post a pic of those clowns! Looks good. Do you have good flow to the front side of the rocks?

Yeah Nikki, the flow is good in the front. i worked the caves so the flow go's through them on the top and the bottom blows out under. But i still have a ways to go on the aquascaping. I'm just not happy yet.
I'm going to be working on the stand over the next two week im hoping so ill keep up on the pictures. Heres the best shots i could get so far of the clowns. I hope you like them! Oh. and a majestic angel I got also. not to sure about him yet but am having fun with some fish i could never have before. I'm reading they do ok in sps only tanks. anyone out there that can confirm this?

Last edited:
Heres some more pictures of the tank everyone.
The doors to the top of the tank are tambor doors, ( like a roll top desk) There bamboo. The other doors are solid swinging doors with bamboo in layed in the center. I'll be making the doors for the cabinet side soon. I just need time off from work.

Last edited:
Love it!!! Great update! You have done a tremendous job!!

Awesome work frankie, how thick is your back glass with all the holes? Did you use a drill press for glass to make so many holes? Like the wood work also, nice craftsmanship, it will be a beautiful tank when all said & done, as it already is:)

Thanks everyone for the wonderful replies!
The glass is 1/2" thick Scooterman. I took it to a glass shop to have it drilled but the guy chickened out on me after the first few in the back. So i borrowed his hand glass press and did it myself. The bottom holes i drilled free hand for the overflows. The press didn't fit there in the corners. It was made to rest legs on the glass and one leg fell short.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Just giving you all an update. Things are going well with the tank. I couldn't get the rock right so Brian from www.aquaticimportsintl.com came over and did the whole tank for me :) I'm very happy with it, he's an awesome guy. I finished building the doors for the tank and will be building the side panels this week. The wife picked out some really nice hardware for it. The chiller broke and its being fixed so i should have that back by Wednesday. Hope you all like the pictures!

Last edited:
Looks awesome, Frankie! Brian did a good job (and he has a link to RF on his webpage...gotta love that! :D). I like the open space/cave on the bottom. Do you get enough flow behind the rockwork? Did you have to put the livestock in temporary housing? I thought I saw some fish in the first pic, but couldn't tell if there were any other inhabitants.

New pic's

Hi everyone, happy new year!
Sorry i keep neglecting this thread, my new life in the south has been pretty busy. Everything is going great.
I took some new pictures of the tank the other day and thought you all would like to see where im at.
I didn't like the pine wood so i have been changing it out for Brazilian cherry the last few weeks. Tomorrow i get the crown so the front will be done other then polyurethane. Its coming out just like i wanted it all along. I cut a side view in also and need to make my side panels.
I recently added a 1/3 inline chiller and its working ok.
I have been adding corals (sps) and there doing great. I need to get some good pictures of them though. I'm finding it hard to get nice pictures inside the tank.
I also added two t5 actinic. the actinic florescent didn't give me the color i was going for and the 2x175 watt XM's i found to be a bit yellow. :(

Last edited:
Well i went a bought a few corals from the LFS. Brian's been hooking me up also with damaged out corals that were rtn. I seem to be lucky getting them to come back. :)
I also built the crown molding today. To have a crown cut for me was going to be costly so i opted for building it out of casing and a stool. It's all Brazilian cherry now and waiting for me to polyurethane it. Hope you all like the pic's!

Last edited:
Back