Fumes from boiling rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Please explain why would you want to kill your live rock?

I did...I'm a murderer:p Naw...I've been fighting lobophora for about a year now and I'm tired of turning my rock into rubble everytime I try to chop it off so I'm boiling it to get rid of it once and for all. I've had a few threads about the algae and now seeing the chopping routine doesn't work, I boiled a few pieces to re-use. I have some old rock in the tank now without any growth on it which will stay and re-seed the new rock, but the pieces with the lobophora on it will be no-more:)

the only reason i can imagine to do it outside is because the smell of boiling saltwater would more than likely smell fishy and make you house smell like a whore house in mid july.

LOL! Never been to one:p

I boiled live rock indoors once as I often don't consider the consequences of my actions before embarking on them. I had gotten some rock from a tank that was being taken down that was pretty nasty and wasn't sure what type of bad stuff was in/on it so I wanted to be careful not to introduce any nasties to my tank. Even after totally killing it coralline started growing on it in about 2 months after introducing it to my rockpile. If you already have a good pile of biologically sound rock, I think it is a good way to add small amounts of new rock.

I put about 6 loads of rock through my big crock pot (10 hrs on high) and the family quit checking to see what was cooking after the first couple of loads. The smell was noticable but not overpowering. All that to assure no aptasia and then I bought more rock and guess what was on it. Yep aptasia amoungst all the goodies. I just cannot resist getting my tank in trouble.

LOL! Well, these few rocks didn't have much left on it becaue it didn't smell much at all. Infact the water wasn't even really brown afterwards. I've killed rock before (sat it out in the Bahamian sun for about 6 months) but wanted a quick fix. We'll see how they look later:)

Back