Garf's Grunge question..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Zen Reeferer

Didn't know which forum to post this, but...
I got 3 lbs. of Graf's Grunge a few weeks ago and added it to my 26 gal. Uniquarium, and it sure is teeming with 'pods and coraline. I am wanting to know how deep I should mix the rocks and shells with my 2 1/2" of 'live sand'? (mixed reef) I've tried to avoid mixing it in too deep in order to give the 'pods a chance to reproduce. (without knowledge...I'm just paranoid, lol)
Should I mix it in at all, and if not...what about the detritus I know is in there, altho nitrates are still reading under/around 20 (learning to feed my new tubestra). I tried blowing out the detritus, and have a few 'bald' spots in the Grunge where it blew that away, too. The Grunge started as a thin layer throughout the sandbed, but is now patchy. Should I get some more of it to cover the bald spots, or will this settle in, too? (I love the look of the stuff, and can spend hours a day checking out all the cool stuff in it) or just mix it in with the LS? (how deep can I mix it without killing the 'pods?)
Also...any thoughts on thier new Grunge Plus?
Thank you very much for your time.
I tried to e-mail Garf a couple of times, but no replies yet.
Hope Sally Jo is doing ok...

Well this is the SPS (small polyp stony) coral forum and for them no grunge is required but rather high flow, light, and excellent water quality.
I will move this thread to the general forum so you can get better exposure.
If you have small and large particle sizes in the same tank the large ones will always work their way to the top.

Regards,
Kevin

Zen Reefer - what more does the Grunge Plus have extra compared to the Grunge? I've never used grunge, but it seems like the best way to add it is allow it to remain on top, so the critters can make their way to a desired location.

According to the website, the Grunge Plus has (what looks like) larger shells and gravel, with serpent stars, sponges, scud shrimp, sand-stirring worms and coraling algae. (and copepods, I assume)
They also have a Grunge Lite. From what I can tell, it's more of a mud for your refugium or mud filters.
Kind of difficult to find, unless you know where to look for it...but it's http://www.garf.org/ then, click on thier 'Marketing Information' tab...lists the different types of Grunge they now offer.

Anyone have any thoughts, pro or con, with regards to using this product/system of biodiversity? Any problems that may develop over time?

The grunge and grunge plus both work well. They really helped to kick start the growth of coraline and copepods in my tank. I have it in my ref and in my sandbed. You should start to see little white spots all over your glass. Which is the seeding of the coraline.

I'll jump in on the bandwagon and say just let it get worked in on its own. I used it to jump start my tank and I'd swear by it.

They say in the directions to put it on top of your live sand and let it work its self in. You will find that the big pieces will stay on top.

So GARF Grunge Plus look to pack quite alot of diversity in to it. I am considering using this myself. What do the rest of you think about the other ideas they have in their Bulletproof reef concept?

What is it about their system you feel is outdated? I am just looking at option and weighing then benfits and draw backs of different designs. Aside from teh Agrocrete which I would not use what are the drawback to the rest of the design. DSB and Plenem?

Well I think the proof in Sally Jo's tanks. Look at them and then look at others , She has corals we all wish for, Thier thought process come s really from Leroy. He developed that whole thing, and he found Tanks thrive the way he does them. 90's? I dont think so, May you have the knowledgfe he does on this subject. I use it religously in my tanks, It make cycling faster and turns crap water into gold. The Shells are filled with Capnella and Mushrooms. I have stuff growing in places I never placed corals. If you really want to start a tank right ... Screw the live sand and go Grunge. And No i Dont work for them, Its would be hard to living in Michigan.

i think your mistaking what i said as a general opinion about garf grunge, which i actually like, the question was about the "bulletproof" reef method that i was responding to, i dont like the skimmerless tanks with tap water and plentums, THAT is 90's, not garf grunge.

i think the grunge is great for seeding refugiums, and sand in the main display, should you choose to do such a thing, sand certainly has it's place in some tanks :)

Last edited:
you hard-core reefers need to recognize that some areas have near ro quality water right out of the tap! the only thing we in parts of idaho have to get rid of is clorine, and that will evaporate on its own if you age the water which you should do anyways. i finally broke down and bought a ro system just so i could say the source water was not my problem. i brought it home set it all up installed my DIGITAL TDS super binford 8000 top of the line foolproof better than gold etc... dual meter and turned it on only to find that my tds before ANY filtration was 12!!! i felt pretty stupid for wasting my money on the ro for my tank, but we use it for drinking water. now i have to add another filter after the membrane to improve taste and remove odors!!!??? if the ro system water is so good why would i have to do that? tds is a very sloppy measurement of water quality if you ask me! just stick your hand held tds meter in your newly mixed ro saltwater and your reading will be off the charts! not every one has good quality water and ro is a good way to have a control base to add elements to, but not always a necessity!

If you have water quality like jsmkmavity - RO/DI would be lower on the priority, however, the good thing is your filters and membranes will last a lot longer than mine (TDS ~500). By sticking a TDS meter in mixed salt water, you are measuring all the salt and components...it is not a measure of quality of salt mix. I stand behind using RO/DI because it is one more way to control inputs in the reeftank.

Back