GBTA and Water Flow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

brettandlyndi

How much flow do GBTAs like? I just purchase one, and placed them in an area with somewhat strong current. It stayed there all night and this morning (haven't been home yet to check on it today). The current seems to be really moving the tentacles a lot, but the anemone seems to be happy there. I know that they will move if unhappy, so basically if he stays there, then he likes the amount of water flow?

Hi there.

If this is all laminar, uni-directional flow it is not great for all corals and inverts we keep in our tanks.

However, as you mentioned, they will move as needed until they find a place they prefer. If the flow is from a contribution of different pumps, then i'm sure it is happy.

IMO, lighting is more important than 'a lot of ' flow for this anemone, as I've seen rose anemones/btas in tanks with little flow and still 'thrive'. Rapid changes in pH and temps will largely affect these anemones as well.

Best,
Ilham

General GBTA ?s

Okay, I've got a few more questions. Now before I purchased the GBTA, I did my homework on them, and researched quite a bit, but now that the anemone is in my tank, I'm nervous and really want it to do well, and might feel a little more at ease, if I can get a few opinions.

First, when I purchased my anemone yesterday evening, I also bought a bag of frozen whole krill. How often should I feed the GBTA and how much?

Second, the lighting in the store that the anemone was under, was pretty far away from the actual tank (up far too high to be giving adequate lighting), so I'm worried that where I've placed my anemone will shock it, because of the more intense lighting. When I placed it in the tank yesterday, it grabbed hold of the rock I was trying to place in, and it hasn't moved at all, but has kind of stayed small. Not necessarily shrunk, because all of the tentacles seem to be out, and bulb tipped, but not really expanding its disc. Could this be because it is still acclimating to the lighting and tank?

Also, its not really wedged into a crevice right now, it's taken hold on a flatter side of a rock, and is pretty much out in the open, rather than having its body tucked into a crevice, as I've read they like to do. Will it be okay?

I know from everything I've read that a moving anemone is an unhappy one, so should I take it that since it has not yet attempted to move to another spot, that it is happy, and is just taking a little time to acclimate to its new tank?

Thanks all, and will post pics soon.

Elmo18 said:
Hi there.

If this is all laminar, uni-directional flow it is not great for all corals and inverts we keep in our tanks.

However, as you mentioned, they will move as needed until they find a place they prefer. If the flow is from a contribution of different pumps, then i'm sure it is happy.

IMO, lighting is more important than 'a lot of ' flow for this anemone, as I've seen rose anemones/btas in tanks with little flow and still 'thrive'. Rapid changes in pH and temps will largely affect these anemones as well.

Best,
Ilham

Ilham, it is not uni-directional flow, but rather a combination of two powerheads, and return lines from the sump, that is making up the flow in the tank, the powerheads and return lines are pointed toward the front glass, so when the current hits the glass, it blows in all sorts of different directions, and really creates a nice, somewhat natural current in the tank. For lighting, I'm running 452 watts of PC lighting over my standard 55 gallon. The anemone is about 2/3 of the way up the height of the tank.

my flow is similar. the right power head is pointed at the front glass.(center) when it hits it defuse's moveing down and more to the left side front corner. the left power head is mid way down pointed across the back, with a slight turn to it, moveing stuff across the CC in the rear. the return is on the right side above the powerhead faceing center tank.
and the drian for the over flow is top rear left corner.

theres no certain current in the tank ,its blowing all over the place. pockets spining,

is that good?

no anemone's for a while for me, but one day

Back