gen-x 4100 pumps...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

freetareef

i was ordering some pumps for a diy 8" recirc skimmer and noticed there are to kinds, one with a needle wheel and one with out. i wanted to mesh mod them so i was thinking the cheaper ones will do... any experience with modding and/or using these pumps?;)

I think one is submersable and one is external. I guess it depends on the skimmer your hooking it to.

They are both submersible. The non needle wheel version probably has a paddle type impeller which would be more difficult to mesh, and may not perform as well.

sice pumps perform well I have heard.
Sedra pumps Seems to start more consistantly without any fuss from what I have heard.
Also warner marine is modifing the sedra 9000's and they seen to do very well acording to the article.

A few people around here have sice pumps in/on there skimmers and seem to like there preformance !

:)

freetareef, either one will work. The main concern with a genx4100 is the chance it will have exposed metal on its heat sink. If you get the PW you'll want to shave down the pw by half, then you can add 3-4 layers of flatback mesh (7210). Make a venturi and get 35-40scfh at around 40-50watts. The needlewheel is easier though fwiw. They are a very cheap pump. FWIW you can get the odyssea wp1000 and do the same thing with the PW and make a easy reducer and you'll get 30-35scfh. 39.99 No rust probs either.

cool i'll check them out. yeah i read a "this sucks" thread on rc about the 4100 rusting... they have fixed that problem but you never know if youd get a new one or a old one ordering online.

cool i'll check them out. yeah i read a "this sucks" thread on rc about the 4100 rusting... they have fixed that problem but you never know if youd get a new one or a old one ordering online.

they've been saying they "fixed" that problem for years, but it still keeps rearing it's ugly head...it's also a loud pump as well.

you might want to look at modding a quiet one 3000, you can get 1200 lph air injection for about 25 watts because it is in reality the sicce psk2500 pump that is resold to pentair and put in a different pump housing. it costs $45 at petsmart.com

you would have to mesh mod and make a venturi from the volute same as a genx pump...

1200 lph.... how much in scfh is that? my prodject begins this weekend so by the end of this week it should be done and running...as soon as the pumps arive.

skimmer... you have mass experince within the skimmer realm right? throw my some numbers conserning a 6" and 8" skimmer... like how tall, what size neck... arararraaghghgh!!!!! i've read so much crap on skimmers my head is going to explode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The qo3000 is not a good skimmer pump imo. Its windings are not the same as the sicce. I've tried and tried with those guys but they are unreliable at best.

really? cause i've always had good luck with them (except one that i boared out the outlet and went right through it)...
you really think the odyessea pump is better??
i wish someone would just import the sicce pumps here without charging an arm and a leg...

for a 8" skimmer, i'd say make the reaction chamber 16" tall, make the neck 4" in diameter, and 8" tall. alot of it depends on the pump you wind up choosing as well.
i have also had good luck at modding OR 3500's, and eheim 1262's for that size skimmer.
and scince it's DIY, you should make yourself a removable bubble plate and a adjustable wedge outlet as well

Last edited:
Yea, if you want a cheap skimmer that performs well, the msx 200 from marinesolutions is tough to beat. I mean 280bux is pretty cheap.

The QO's are a pita to mod and have start up issues most the time. You can get them to pull 25scfh without startup probs but when you start to get to the 30-35scfh area, there not fun to mess with.

can you guys give me some how to advice on the bubble plates such as placment hieght in the reaction chamber? sorry to leave ya hanging... we were a little tight on money as my gf lost her job and i started a new one at nights so i've been exaughted... i bought a chiller instead of my skimmer pumps. i think i will look at the odysea pumps as they are at my lfs and i have one that has been going for awhile as a return.

200bux for the laguna is way expensive. Fleabay for 94bux for the maxflo 1500. Its expensive, but you get the best pump out there imo.

Back