Goofy fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Shalori

I've kept both fresh and saltwater critters, and it's been my experience that my saltwater friends have more personality than the freshwater that I've personally had. I can't be the only one whose tanks have been a source of amusement, so I thought it might be fun to share stories
of what your critters do.

I have a sweet little pseudochromis elongatus who's a bit neurotic. He has a spot in the front corner of the tank that is his spot. He'll
spend forever lovingly grooming it, moving a grain of sand at a time, and fanning it with his tail. And if something should fall into the hole, or a wayward snail should be passing through, I swear he starts panicking and hyperventillating. You can see his little fishy panic that there's something in his space and, possessing no thumbs, he's powerless to do anything about it. Cracks me up, I just wanna pass him some Prozac and a brown paper bag to breathe into. You'd have to see it. ;)

Awhile back, though, he disappeared. I couldn't figure out what happened, and was bummed at the loss. A week or so later, though, I had turned off the pumps to do a water change, and a little while later-there he was. I was so excited! But the following day I couldn't find him again. Later on, another water change led to another sighting. I believe it was the 3rd time this happened that I caught him trying to squeeze into the slots of the overflow box. Silly thing has apparently decided he likes it in the overflow box. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this? I've been contemplating screening off the overflow, but I'm a little concerned about it restricting the flow, or some other problem...

So I guess I have two thoughts goin here, lol, one is what are people's thoughts re screening the overflow, and two, what kind of antics do
your fish amuse you with?

:)

I had a Royal Gramma that loved to live in the overflow. I would take him out and put him back in the display and within a day or two he would be back in the overflow. You can screen it with something like eggcrate to keep them out but you must check on this often to keep from having an overflow onto your floor.

I had a orange spot goby for years that refused to live anywhere but the overflow. Every time I would catch him he would go right back. Never did find a way to keep him out.

I used gutter guard to block my gobies from going in there.

I had a tiny yellow clown goby that started to eat my SPS polyps.. so I caught him and put him in the sump..
Well the next morning.. He was back in the tank in the lower corner hiding..
That little guy made it through a SEDRA 12000 (1200GPH) submersible pump with out injury.. (I did loose a black Blenny to a return pump also.
My Yellow Tang always gets in the way of me trying to take pics of my corals.. He will let me pet him
And my fairy wrasse swims circles around my wrist when I reach into the tank towards the front..

+1 for gutter guard.

But I definitely see what you mean....I could tell way more stories of what my saltwater fish have done than stories of what my freshwater ones have...ha

I have a maroon clownfish that always moves corals around....he usually keeps them upright though (?) but either way, I have one of those magnets that won't float, and whenever it falls off, the clownfish will push it up against the glass to the point where you can get it back :) haha!

I have a pair of tank bred OC clowns, they ingnored my rbta for 2 months. The female finally decided to move in leaving the male on the far side of the tank. She spent countless hours trying to lure him into the deadly tentacles. She finally convinced him last week to move in with her. Now I can only get him to come out to eat.
My sand sifting goby has VERY clear ideas about how the sand should be distributed in the tank. If I move sand even a little bit he rushes over and watches intently. As soon as I finish he begins the process of placing everything back the way it was before I started.

I had a wild caught juvenile french angel that reminded me of a little puppy. He would go crazy at the site of me coming to the tank and would eat out of my hand at feeding time. I fell in love with that species and because of that particular fish it has always been my favorite aquarium fish apart from a yellow tang I once had. They are very cool looking when in their juvenile stage (yellow and black stripes with blue fins on the underside), but I eventually had to get rid of him because my tank would never support a grown one so he went into a bigger tank. I always said if I ever get a tank big enough to keep one, I'd get me another in a heart beat! :)

Here he is in my 90 gal with his buddy a green wrasse he use to follow around.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And just to show you how small I've seen them here, I caught this little fellow just to take his picture and then released him. If only they could stay this small, I'd have one in this nano I am setting up!! :)

Back