Gorgonian polyps closed for almost two days?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

danieljames

I have a gorg (corky finger i believe. Large polyped) that has retracted it's polyps for almost two days now. They come out slightly, but that is all. Any ideas? Is this something i should address, or is it possibly trying to shed? Nothing has changed husbandry wise that i can think of. I do about 5 gallon water changes every two-three days. 72-74 degrees, 1.025, parems within normal ranges. It's a pretty new display, less than six months old.

I have put a new Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis, but from what i can tell he has been uninterested in anything but the rock and mysis. I have another gorg that is perfectly healthy to my eye anyway. The gorg in question is still closed this morning. Perhaps flow? Would a gorg that has appeared happy with the water flow for weeks suddenly become unhappy with it?

Most gorgonians require a fairly brisk flow to get their polyps to extend. IMO it is best to overestimate the flow for gorgonians than to underestimate their flow requirements. Try food such as algae released by wiping the front glass or feeding cyclops. Doing these things usually works for me.

Best Wishes,
Barry Katz
(800) 764-0884

Thank you very much barry. After almost ten days, the gorg has opened up again fully to its original glory. I'm assuming it was shedding, as i see a very small amount of flaking.

Back