Got my first tank going :)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thedude657

Well my first tank is up and running. 55g corner tank. It cycled and I bought my first 2 fish. I got 2 sapphire damsels and they appear to be doing great so far, they started eating right away. It really exciting and super tough tonot go out and buy corals yet but I want to make sure I know what Im doing first. I have a 400w mh suspended about a foot off the tank but its still so bright my apartment glows at night lol not sure if its too strong for the tank it look like its at least 24 inches tall I dont have a tape measure and I have read too much light can be bad for corals.

Congrats on your new tank. Sounds like it is coming along just great. Some coral would like a little less light, and some like a lot, but it sounds like it should be just fine where you have it. It can always be raised or lowered if needed. You will be able to keep any type of coral you want with that lighting.
It is hard not to start buying coral and more fish. There are so many different types of beautiful coral...you just want it all!
I'm trying...lol.
Look forward to seeing pics.

Yeah, you will get enough posts in a short time.
Do some research. Read up on some of the sticky threads on corals and fish. Ask any questions you may have. We have all been there and may have answers for you. That is if we have figured it out ourselves yet! haha.

Welcome!!
maybe tell us a little more about your set up...
what kind of filtration and flow do you have?

if you imagine the sun out on the reef, really 400w isnt too much,
it's all about placement and acclimation of your corals.
with a 400w m.h. you will possibly need a chiller for the summer though,
unless you have an ac unit in your house or it is in a cool basement,
then you might be able to control the extra heat with just fans on the tank and sump.
it is usually just a few weeks of really hot weather here.

Last edited:
I have a 10 gal sump with a skimmer , sock filter and sponge filter in it. I raised the light up about a foot off the tank due to heat issues and put a fan blowing on the water seems to be ok now. i set the tank tank to 76 cause that light is pretty hot. also is there any way to tell what kind of bulb as in 10k or 20k? is has a slight blue tint to it and from what Ive read is a 20k? there are no numbers on the bulb to look up.

There is a definite difference between 10 and 20 K. The 10 will be more yellow and really bright and the 20 will be more on the blue side and not look as bright. I have a 15K and a 20K in my frag tank. I will try to post a pic of it later to show you the difference. A 10K will be a little brighter or a little more yellow than the 15K.

Congrats! And welcome to Reef Frontiers. Looks like your off to a great start, slow and doing your research will ensure the best possible outcome. Looking forward to the pics and progress of your system.

Cheers, Todd

I have a 10 gal sump with a skimmer , sock filter and sponge filter in it. I raised the light up about a foot off the tank due to heat issues and put a fan blowing on the water seems to be ok now. i set the tank tank to 76 cause that light is pretty hot. also is there any way to tell what kind of bulb as in 10k or 20k? is has a slight blue tint to it and from what Ive read is a 20k? there are no numbers on the bulb to look up.

there is no industry standard for m.h. bulbs...so all the different colors are just individual companies interpetation of 10k, 15k, or 20k.
your best bet is to just go with what you like based upon what you've seen.... do you want a whiter or bluer looking tank??
what kind of skimmer do you have? and what do you have for flow in the main display?

I have a eshopps skimmer rated for 75g, I have 2 powerheads one 750 and the other is a 1400. my pump is a 500gph. Plenty of flow. I was toying with powerhead placement a few weeks ago and obliterated my sandbed, it took a week to settle. I like the look of the bulb I have. I bought the setup off of craigslist and just learning as I go.

It is always good to see another reefer that has done his research. Your posts have proven you did not just jumpin willie nillie.
Look forward to your pics. All of us addicted reefers need our pic fix.

Back