Got my new macro lenses...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blazer88

I just got my Sigma 150mm F/2.8 EX macro lens the other day and thought I would give it a whirl last night. I also got a Canon 60mm F/2.8 macro lens since I will be selling my Canon 100mm next week. Most of these macro pics are taken with extension tubes and/or tele-converters to get some crazy magnification. I'm looking to head over to Dang's on Saturday to test this setup out on his tank, I can't wait to see how his SPS looks. Enjoy!

Green Slimer:
IMG_5131-Edit.jpg

SPS:
IMG_5183-Edit.jpg

Monti Cap:
IMG_5156-Edit.jpg

Pink Zoa:
IMG_5102-Edit.jpg

Green Paly:
IMG_5157-Edit.jpg

Blue Paly:
IMG_5146-Edit.jpg

Green Brain feeding tenticle:
IMG_5097-Edit.jpg

Yuma Ricordia mouth:
IMG_5107-Edit.jpg

Star Polyps:
IMG_5158-Edit.jpg

Orange Crush Acan:
IMG_5141-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
I also bought the Canon EF-S 60mm F/2.8 macro lens for general tank shots and fish shots. The Sigma 150mm with all of the tubes/TC's attached is huge and not real easy to work with. I wish I had more fish to photograph, but what can you do, lol. These were really to just test out the lens and see if I like it.

IMG_5202-Edit.jpg

IMG_5196-Edit.jpg

IMG_5209-Edit.jpg

IMG_5091-Edit.jpg

Here are the new toys:
IMG_5216.jpg

Why are you parting with your 100mm? I just got one and it is one of the nicest lenses I have ever owned! Just curious...

There's a difference between ISO noise and how the corals look. The Acan was shot at ISO 200, it looks grainy because that's how the coral is when viewed close :D Using any noise reduction software (I have both neat image and noiseware professional) would have drastically reduced any detail in the corals. Most of the coral shots were at ISO 100-400 so the real noise (not to be confused with the texture of the corals) is limited. The fish were shot at ISO 800 so I would expect some noise in those shots.

I parted with the 100mm since it didn't have enough reach for what I wanted to do. You can get 1:1 with the lens but have to be 6" away from the corals. I can get 1:1 with the Sigma at about 18", which is the depth of my tank. It's much easier to go beyond 1:1 with the Sigma since extension tubes will bring the focus point closer. Using the 100mm and tubes, the focus point would be within a few inches, which isn't very useful for photographing a tank. The 100mm is a great piece of glass and will serve 99% of what people want, don't get me wrong. I am just better served by both the 60mm and 150mm. Thanks for the comments everyone!

Last edited:
Amazing amazing amazing.......You make me want to throw away my camera :p

jk, keep up the good pics man! :D

-augustus

Thanks for the comments everyone. Macro's with this much magnification are much more difficult to work with since the depth of field is extremely shallow, so there is a learning I'm working with. I'm off to Dang's this afternoon to give it a proper testing :D

Back