Greatest Tank Ever

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

csababubbles

My close friend recently came back from a dive in the Caribbean and he said the place looks devastated. He's been diving down there for the past two decades and he says every time he goes it gets worse and worse.

I think I am going to try and lessen my impact on the reefs from my hobby. I will be converting one of my 220 reef tanks in the upcoming weeks that will be the most eco-friendly tank I could possibly do.

I think the greatest tank that anyone can build would be one that only incorporates corals that are captive grown and fish that are captive born and raised. Nothing in this tank will be taken directly from the wild. All the corals will be frags from fellow reefers and none of the fish will be from the wild. I will also give away as many frags as I can that this tank can produce so that others may also enjoy this hobby without stripping the wild. I think people would be inclined to take free corals frags as opposed to spending money at the lfs for wild corals.I will also reduce the electricity usage to the bare minimum. I will start a thread on this and document it so that you can guys can help me make it the best tank it can be.

I hope this idea catches on.

Last edited:
I think it's commendable that you're doing this. It's already caught on, many years ago. It's one of the reasons that suppliers like ORA are so successful. Making as little impact on nature's reefs is a goal we should all strive for. With corals, I think it's pretty possible to do. Captive breeding of fish isn't near enough yet, but it gets closer and closer each year.

Great idea... I did something along these lines when purchasing my rock from Bulk Reef Supply. I chose their rock because they do not go out and take it from the wild, or at least they say they do not!

The most "eco-friendly" aspect of this hobby is giving vital income to collectors, wholesalers, retailers and the rest of the human species that rely on this industry,

The amount of time, energy, and shear effort that is put into this hobby is wasted if you do not promote the industry.

Many of these corals will disappear from certain areas and it would be a shame if some were not preserved in our tanks for the future.

No human being on this planet is "carbon neutral" the most you can hope for is to have a smaller impact and you can start by riping up your own driveway, tearing down your house and planting a garden that you will only eat from. All else is just talk.

Take pride in your humanity and use your skills to develop better ways of keeping those in your charge.

Leave the carbon footprints concerns to the people that do not understand humanity's place in the ecology.

I don't particularly agree with anything you are saying but that's ok glad to hear your perspective.

This tank is well on its way to being set-up. I am setting up the plumbing this weekend so hopefully I will have water in it soon.

I am looking forward to seeing your tank! I am just starting mine off too, so maybe I can get some good ideas from you.

I think the best thing to do would be to use things that use less electricity. This in turn IS eco-friendly. And allot easier to understand.

Examples would be the Skimmers that use a Sicce PSK-2500 pump using less than 30 watts . There are other pumps as well.

Lighting Might be an option with pfo's solaris led lighting system. You pay more upfront but get more consistent lighting, AND THE HEAT IS ABOVE THE WATERLINE.
Only a small amount of room airconditioning is needed.

Just my 2 cent's.

Paul

No reason not to keep a tank with less impact on the environment. I do agree with Dan's premise about humanity...I think. LOL. I'm going to go turn on all my lights now.

Gene

Plack - It would be better to go in another direction with lighting if trying to conserve energy. While you can get the Solaris for cheaper due to the demise of PFO, not having spare parts for when they fail would be bad. Not to mention no warranty or support.

Back