Grow Baby Grow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

csababubbles

Lee, can you give us a quick run down of how quickly (with good environment and nutrition) we can expect our fish to grow? Obviously there are a lot of fish out there but it would be really great if you can give a general break down of the major groups and their potential growth rates. For example, under puffers, Arothron & Diodon you can expect to grow 2"-3" a year until 12" at which point the growth rate slows, while Canthigaster are much slower growing, maybe an 1/2" a year until they hit maximum. (I'm just making this up but just trying to clarify what I am attempting to ask of you). Maybe even break it down high up in the tree, like Tangs, Butterflys, Puffers, etc. And then if someone had a specific species they could ask you in this thread? I think many people would be well served by this info, especially those in the hobby that are just starting out and are under false impressions of growth rates and what they can expect, so hopefully they can re-think the "I'll upgrade when he gets too big" strategy that seems to be a major downfall in this hobby,

Thanks Lee!

Last edited:
Growth is dependent on too many things to make real generalizations, even among genera. Although I believe that Lee has stated that in the first 2-3 years a fish grows around 75% of its length and it significantly drops after that. That may not be exact but I believe its close. At best he would have to do it by genus and that would be a daunting project. Something easier would be to say, when you have the tank setup, then you can get the fish. Nothing before and no excuses.

That's a pretty tall order. :) I don't think I could do justice to that one.

Fishes that swim in the open ocean grow fast. Those that stay in one location on a reef for instance, tend to grow slowly and remain smallish. There are exceptions to these generalities. Other marine fishes are in between. The Tangs fit in between since they travel great distances but within their reef area. They will get to half their sexual mature adult size when they are under 7 years old, then hit sexual maturity, then grow slowly ever after.

Large Angels may travel less distances than the Tangs, but they keep on the move -- nibbling here and there as they 'browse' the reef. Nature puts a strong push to get most marine fishes to their sexual maturity at a relatively fast rate. Once there, the fish's energy diverts to procreation and growth slows.

Your example of a Puffer is a good choice. There are 'dwarf' Puffers and jumbo Puffers. Can't say anything about the group growth rate that would apply to both extremes, except that they will reach half the size of their sexual maturity size (whatever size that is) in a few years of optimum captive life.

I do have a lot of experience with specific species in captivity. Much depends on where that fish is in its life, relative to their sexual maturity. This may or may not relate to growth rates in the wild. In the wild much depends upon the available resources, which in an ideal captive life should be limitless.

I'll share whatever I'm sure about. :)

Last edited:
Back