GSM and Carpet???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

Hey everyone, I have a pair of GSM clowns and one RBTA. The RBTA moved around alot and walked right across the top of my blasto colony. I'd like to try a different type of anemone that hopefully wouldnt move around as much. Will the gold strip clowns host a carpet? If so, what type.
Thanks in advance,
Brett

Not sure if the gold strip clowns will host a carpet anemone, but I have personally seen in one of my friends old tanks, a sebae, perculas as well as the black and white striped clown host a wild caught carpet anemone he had in his tank. I wish I knew the exact species of carpet anemone (I 'll have to ask him and see if he remembers) but clowns will host certain carpets for sure and I figured if all of those ones he had did, then it is quite possible the gold striped ones will, but don't quote me on that. I'm sure someone like Ilham will know:)

I have found that most clowns will accept almost any anemone including most all carpets, but you might want to make sure if you really want a carpet in with your corals. The carpets as a rule sting much more than any bulb. :mad: Some are somewhat OK, but some have quite powerful ammo. As a previous anemone tank lover, I have been burned before.:eek:

Don't bet on it. The clown may try to acclimate itself chemically to the carpet but the more likely outcome will be the carpet gets a free lunch. Not unheard of at all but risky non the less.

Cheers
Steve

I'm one of the lucky ones I guess, my clown fish hosted our new giant carpet within 24 hours and both are extremely happy; if anything, I have one unhappy bangai cardinal (he was good friends with the clown fish and they've abandoned him); he keeps wanting in on the carpet but obviously that relationship isn't as friendly.

mmm... Okay, well Steve, what would you recommend? I like the RBTA's but cant trust 'em. What about a ritteri?

I'm one of the lucky ones I guess, my clown fish hosted our new giant carpet within 24 hours and both are extremely happy; if anything.
Considering Stichodactyla gigantea is a natural host for A. percula, I'm not surprised ... :cool:

mmm... Okay, well Steve, what would you recommend? I like the RBTA's but cant trust 'em. What about a ritteri?
Well, first and foremost your clown has no actual need for a host and you really shouldn't be combining a nonreef animal in a reef. Buying a different species will not solve the problem. You need to discover the causes of why the anemone is wandering and fix that. Contrary to popular (expert?) belief, it is not at all common for them to continually wander. Once their needs are met (light/flow/food/temp), they will stay put for years. Quite literally moving 0.5" at most in that time. Discover that reason and you'll be much better off that trying different species.

Cheers
Steve

Back