Guide to Lazy Reefkeeping

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaH2O said:
When I clean my skimmer, I'm able to put my arm all the way inside, so I use some of the algae magnet pad for acrylic tanks and wipe out the inside of my skimmer.

Lazy? at least you clean your skimmer.... :lol: I have yet to clean the inside of my skimmer, only the collection cup and powerhead...I've got tube worms and stuff growing in my skimmer, kinda like a mini fuge.... :lol: ( but it works better now than when it was brand new... :rolleyes: )

MikeS

Hey Sharks - awesome tip on the broom handle. For acrylic tanks - no razor blades, but perhaps an old credit card would do the trick. I also have my rubbermaid garbage cans marked every 5 gallons - and my 5 gallon bucket marked every half gallon.

MikeS said:
I've got tube worms and stuff growing in my skimmer, kinda like a mini fuge.... :lol: ( but it works better now than when it was brand new... :rolleyes: )

LOL - Mike, maybe those filter feeders are just taking advantage of those excess nutrients you are carring around in the bottom of your tank ;) .

Here's another that we did to our stand/side cabinet. A dab of silicone to the head of screws visible in the sump area. Keeps the screws from getting rusty.

I have heard of several people, (Including Melev on RC) using the Dawn Dawn Power Dish Brush to clean Corralline algae from their tanks...its sposed to be acrylic safe too. It is also waterproof, so....

Nick

Spend thousands of dollars, automate everything, and cross your fingers it all works so you never have to do anything but drag the algae magnet around once in a while. It seems like a lot to spend, but think of all of the techo-gadget suppliers you'll make happy. The scary part is you can really do this if you have the space and lots o $$$.

Here are a couple more....

The plastic variety of food tongs work well in the tank.

Of course, you can't go wrong with a turkey baster. Not only is it useful for blowing/cleaning off the live rock, but it can also be used to spot feed.

Tank too small for a turkey baster? Maybe the turkey baster can't get the small crevice you are trying to clean out? How about the "nose suckers" you get in the hospital for your new born baby. LOL - the ones you use to suck mucus out of your little ones nose. You can purchase new ones in the drug store.

Tank too small for a turkey baster? Maybe the turkey baster can't get the small crevice you are trying to clean out? How about the "nose suckers" you get in the hospital for your new born baby. LOL - the ones you use to suck mucus out of your little ones nose. You can purchase new ones in the drug store.

Thanx, Nikki, I'll cherish that thought as I wolf down my steak and baked potato :eek:

Something along the lines of basters and mucous suckers is large syringes. You can find them at farm supply stores.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to get my wife and daughter very involved and interested in this once I get up and going, then I can just sit back and enjoy it. LOL

Large syringes are a great idea - would also make target feeding easier!

Speaking of target feeding....check this out: Underwater Feeder

That's a pretty neat little DIY....it would be good for baby clams, non-photosynthetics like sun polyps, or perhaps an ailing coral that needs some extra food because of low zoanthelle, like what I went through with my pearl coral back in december...

MikeS

1. barebottom
2. cook the rocks
3. wet skim

the real reason is because i'm too lazy to deal with algae. even when it blooms in my softie tank i can get rid of it by just doing a water change...

When I am setting up the tank I deliberately decide to only get non-feeding fish. Angels, tangs, or a single mandarin etc. This cuts down significantly on added crap. Also when you get an ultra effiicient skimmer they not only are very good but if you had an issue with phosphate it would remove it also.

you guys are boring :D this is the new hip :lol:

img18631yd.jpg

img18621bs.jpg

NaH2O said:
One that I haven't done, but will likely do in the future if I can get it to work.....attach a toothbrush to the siphon hose, so while scrubbing off the rocks, you are also siphoning away all the junk that comes up.
I do something similar, I attach a sharpened piece of metal(about 3/16" wide) to the end of my siphon hose so I can pluck that stubborn bubble algae off...works pretty good, sucks em right up and out into the bucket.

jake

If you want lazy reefing, don't overstock. Keep the tank as light stock as possible, and grow tons of macroalgae. The tank will take care of itself.

here's another one :rolleyes: i couldn't find any bridal nest,cest ... whatever you call it for my mushrooms that have been flying around, so i went ahead and cut one of my panties and made some holes on it and buala !!
:D

Back