Guide to Lazy Reefkeeping

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I love it when old threads get bumped and they link to older threads. I got to this one from Krish's "show your filtration" thread that was bumped today. I like reading these old threads!

So now I am going to bump this "guide to lazy reefkeeping":D

So does it count if my water change is taking water from the 46g and use it in the 55g and then take water drained from the 55g and use in the 130g and finally use the water from the 130g to fill the 46g back up :lol::lol::lol:. I could just refer to it as DSW (different salt water as opposed to ASW). Just kidding of course.

I am preparing to do a water change on 2 of the tanks this weekend as I let them go while maintaing the water in the QT the last month (too many water changes). This thought just popped in my mind while I was reading the Lazy reefkeeping tips:D

I have an auto top off system with a 30 gallon poly tank downstairs in the garage filled by rodi with Kent float valve and air valve. Pumped with a reef filler pump through a Kalk reactor to my sump. Pumps 1 gallon in 5 hours every morning.

I used to have to carry 5 buckets of water up the stairs for water changes, so would often put it off. Now I have a sump pump in the 30 gallon water tank that is plumbed through the floor and comes out in a closet near the reef. There is a switch in the closet that turns on the pump. I attach a hose, turn on the switch and fill up a rubbermaid trash can on wheels to mix salt water. A rio 3100 pumps the water into the reef.

I have a controller for the lights, Kalk mixer, heater, chiller. Fans are tied to water temp. Still need to hook up my calc reactor which will be hooked to the controller.

Only thing I still need to do is plumb a drain behind the reef.

* ONE good idea: I take a cheap 2" paint brush and trim some bristles from it and rubber band them to my syphon hose so they go all the way around the hose. Works great for brushing rocks and sucking the gunk.

Now if I could just design an automatic glass cleaner and feeder . . .

Back