gurgle stop

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

divebud

I upgraded the pump in my tank and now the down pipe makes a gurgling sound. The old pump did not flow as much water and there was never a problem. I have a single 3/4 inch pvc down tube in a glass tank.

Are there any baffling systems or tricks to stop this horriable noise, so my family can get some sleep ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Mike

The down pipe in my on my 65 gal just a 3/4 pvc pipe. I had my glass tank drilled to accept the tube and there are no side overflow chambers, just the tube sticking out of the bottom of the tank. It tried the down tube configuration pictured but either it does not work for my application or I got the design wrong. I use a 3/4 T fitting with a 90 angle piece connected to the side turned down and about 2 inches of tubing capped off on the top. When i turn the system on the water levels off just at the bottom of the pipe and it starts sicking air and gurgling. Any suggestions ?

Thanking you in advance
Mike

Shorten the pipe between the tee and the bulkhead so the 90 sits lower in the water. Also I read on that website that you have to use a bigger diameter pvc pipe and fittings.
So if your bulkhead is 3/4" you need to use a 1" pipe for the durso.
Did you drill a hole in the cap?

that's just a myth about having to use a larger diameter pvc pipe than your bulkhead. just make sure that if it's gurgling to increase the hole size in the cap and that'll solve any noise. my durso is dead silent and i used 1" pipe on a 1" bulkhead. I couldn't get the 1 1/4" to fit.

i'd shorten that pipe. you want the water level just at the top of the T.

I did not see any instruction on construction of the downpipe cap and I did not drill a hole in the cap. The water leveled of at the bottom of the 90 deg fitting so not matter how short the down tube the water will always be at the same level. Hopefully the hole in the top will help. Are there any instructions ? Any idea about the size of the hole in the cap.

I used a 1/8" drill bit on mine. I guess it's something you have to play with a little.

start with a small hole, then work bigger. It will flush like a toilet when the hole is quite a bit too small. You know you are getting close when the water oscilates up and down but doesn't "flush". I would then go slightly bigger. Every once in a while you will need to clean out the hole or it will start flushing again. If you oversize the whole, then the water level will fall a bit and there is a chance it will suck air at the 90degree elbow where the water goes in.

bc slc has a good idea, but here's another. Get a needle valve at your LFS and drill a hole in the top of the cap on the durso to fit the needle valve in and superglue in place. Now you can adjust airflow on the fly. Works like a dream.

Back