harlequin

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sgwill122

On Friday I made it done to BR and picked up a harlequin shrimp, always wanted one and have lots of asterina stars for it to munch on. I put it in the sump where I could watch it for a while to make sure he liked the aterina's, this morning I was happy see him/her munching on one so I put it in the 180. I got the kids and wife around for the big introduction. After I put him in the kids started asking questions about it, once I explained it ate starfish one of my kids asked what about the blue linkia.....shoot, I forgot about the linkia. So today I have spent the day hunting for the starfish with no luck. We only see it every week or two, so the game is on man vs shrimp. I am betting on the shrimp.

I am wondering what the linkia will look like after the shrimp gets through with it, will it just be a rotting carcass?

dead start fish
He will drag it o a hole and munch on it for weeks..
Ans no, he wont kill it till he's done..
they are very smart shrimp they will keep the star fish on it's back and eat it for the end of the tentacles down the the main body last..
at least thats what mine did with the sand sifting star I had in my tank.

I suppose a dead start fish is better than a dead stop fish ;)

Those are some cruel shrimp....I want one.

Yeah like Adam said. When I had my pair a while back it won't kill the star fish. They eat them alive and finish every last bit of them. All you will see from your blue linkia is blue pebble like flesh floating around.

Good news, got up this morning with a flash light and found the linkia. Now he is in the sump. I have a starfish I caught crabbing in my freezer which I am planning on feeding him. How often do you feed them?

Roscoe what happened to your shrimp, they just disappear over time?

Good news, got up this morning with a flash light and found the linkia. Now he is in the sump. I have a starfish I caught crabbing in my freezer which I am planning on feeding him. How often do you feed them?

Roscoe what happened to your shrimp, they just disappear over time?

I accidently killed them when I did a interceptor dip:oops:. I caught them and placed them in a container floating on the water while I did the dip. I woke up the next morning they were dead.

i had 2 of them (actually the reason i got into saltwater) and both were killed by a hermit (damn that hermit)

ntw i fed mine about once a week, one leg at a time. they'd eat most of it and leave the rest in the tank for me to remove. they seem to distaste the frozen legs. if you can though, freeze the starfish in water, that way they don't get freezer burned and also the shrimp tend to accept them better when frozen this way then defrosted prior to feeding

these are the little white stare fish that are all over the glass? harlequin eat this?

yes they doo
the ones with a blue/green tint or pure white??
I've seen my shrimp pick up the little ones and run off to eat them..

I have heard that it can be hit or miss wether they eat the asterina's. The one I got is eating them.

the pure white ones... every time my friend kev comes over hes like "damn look at how meny you have now johnny"

Mine picks them out quickly
My 29 was getting bad with them and now they are only inthe sump!!
The shrimp cleaned out the tank..

Back