Hello anybody no what this is ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Chopsie

hi to all can,t work out how to get a pic on here. I,v just set my tank up and growing on a piece of liverock is this pink thing growing it has almost tenticles with little nodules growing all over the tenticles? looks like something from a anne summer brochure:eek: !!!. I know this is a very vague desciption so any help with getting my pics on here or if anyone knows what this is some advice would be gratefull thanks :)

hi to all can,t work out how to get a pic on here. I,v just set my tank up and growing on a piece of liverock is this pink thing growing it has almost tenticles with little nodules growing all over the tenticles? looks like something from a anne summer brochure:eek: !!!. I know this is a very vague desciption so any help with getting my pics on here or if anyone knows what this is some advice would be gratefull thanks :)

Chopsie,

WELCOME TO REEF FRONTIERS!!!! :D

To get your pictures loaded into the posts here... 1st, they need to be (usually) in JPG format, and smaller than 100K in file size. Once you have them saved on your hard drive, click the "Paperclip" up at the top of the message window (go to the ADVANCE mode, if you aren't seeing that paperclip), it pops up a new window... then "browse" to the folder on your directory where the pictures are loaded... select the file, then once you are taken back to that "browse" window, click on the "Upload" button. It will take a few seconds (depending on your connection speed), then you will notice that window will change, showing a "Current Attachments" section, with your file listed there. Now you may close that window... and your file will be attached to your post.

Pheeeeeeeeew... I know, I'm LONG WINDED... sorry! *hanging head in shame*

As for your mysterious critter... sounds like some type of tube-worm or perhaps pest anemone... but nothing to panic about quite yet. A picture will definately help with any identifications. Hopefully you can get a picture loaded, and we can help better with that.

Again.. Welcome to Reef Frontiers! Nice having you here!!!

Does it move at all? Have any openings? The tips open or close? Bumps on just one side of the fingers? Light have any affect on it?

Keep in mind if in a new tank, could be all closed up and might look vastly different once opened. Suck as a colt coral, Kenya tree, finger leather, etc. Hard to rule out Echinoderms just as yet but probably not.

Last edited:
yes it moves and yes to light affecting it. the nodules go all the way around the fingers. can,t find any mouth or openings?

When you say it moves, is it mobile as in crawl?
Or sway in the currents in place?

What is the effect that light has on it?

Where did the rock it is on come from?

it sways in currents it doesnt move round tank. it seems to move into a upright posistion when the lights are on and becomes limp when there off. the rock is from a local dealer sorry not much help there. thanks

My wild guess is a shrunken Sinularia, Nephthea, or Cladiella: Soft coral.
Better picture and maybe let it open up as the tank finishes cycle will tell more and narrow the field. You can google images for each name and get pictures to compare.

Back