Hello From WA state!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Keep up with the water changes.
Best to dry out that rock with aptasia anyway and re seed it.
Aptaisa is very persistent and can be a headache or a nuisance pest that just keeps coming back.
D

It's been a week since I brought home the 2 clown fish, I've added a cleaning crew to my tank which has been cleaning the red algae and green striny algae. When I brought home my dads rock it was all covered in algae so I couldn't seen what the rock itself looked like but now I'm seeing what I think is coralline algae, there's pink, purple and white, so how do I figure out if it's coralline? Everything is thriving and bit by bit the bad stuff is going away, I've done 2 five gallon water changes and have had no big spikes in nitrate levels. Attached is a photo of what I think is coralline that has grown on my new rocks not my dads, I accidentally knocked some rocks around during placement so based on my reading it could have released spores into my tank of the coralline image.jpg

Looks like coralline to me. It can take a bit to really spread, so don't be surprised if in a few months, it still hasn't covered everything. :S

It's been so long since I've seen rock and not algae it was a nice little surprise to actually have something pretty show up. I'm surprised at how fast the snails are cleaning everything!

Yeah lil baby rock nems that get about the size of a nickle.or.quarter.
I had a whole.rock of.em once. Thinking they were kool. Mine were kinda.sparkly lol.
Anyways. Some pickling lime with water mixed to a paste is what i used. Raises ph but gets em all.
Edit. All the mojano. Aptasia just spits.it out.or.sucks in and dosent get the full effect. Hths
D

Quick question about ph: I did a 13 gal water change on Saturday morning, my ph has always been 8.2 however yesterday it was up at 8.4 maybe slightly higher but not quite 8.8, I did some reading although it was hard to understand most of the technical speak. My understanding is that ph rises due to lack of carbon dioxide in the tank and increasing aireation will help with lowering ph. However i had it run for about 6 hours last night and it upset the fish so I pulled it out. What else should I do to lower the ph? Would another water change be needed now? Can I do damage by doing water changes so close together? Lastly, what exactly causes the ph to go up so I can be more mindful of ways to prevent ph spikes? All my other levels are testing perfectly

If your pH is between 7.6 and 8.4, you are fine, don't worry about it. Chasing pH has caused more tank issues than it has ever solved.
Aeration raises, not lowers pH, which is why you saw the rise. Bubbles can make fish and corals unhappy, use sparingly if at all. Photosynthesis raises pH, and you should expect a swing between lights off and lights on every day unless you have a fuge on a reverse lighting cycle. You should also expect to see it change throughout the day.
Much less critical than other things.

Oh geez I read the article wrong!dang it! Ok I will be more careful next time. It definitely upset the fish, they were hiding the whole time and only came out when I removed the airstone. At what point do I need to take action to lower ph? I saw the ph down stuff at the store, is that something I should keep on hand just in case? Or just continue with my weekly 5 gal water changes and monthly 13 gallon?

I have never once dosed anything for pH.
My entire approach has to pH is that if its not melting (base) or burning (acidic), then the pH is just fine, and I will worry about the other things I test for.. they will keep my pH in line as needed

Figured I should post a quick update since I've now had my tank running almost 2 months. My cleaner crew has been keeping my tank exceptionally clean and all signs of aiptasia are gone...for now at least since I know those little buggers will pop up out of no where. My mom got me a torch coral for my birthday this month and I got a little six line wrasse earlier this month also. She's a pretty little thing. I'm having a ton of fun and I've been testing my tank weekly and all levels have maintained. Been wanting to add more color to the tank but I'm hesitant to add anything toxic, so I'm kinda at a stand still for that. I've decided to get a fire fish when we get back from Disneyland in October and I think that might do it for fish for now. What do you all think about sun coral? I keep seeing it on lists of good starter corals. I attached an image of my tank this morning :)image.jpg

sun corals are non photosynthetic, need to be fed daily, and usualy on put polyps out at night unless trained over sometime. i don't know who called them beginnee, but i entirely disagree.

Personally I'd leave your tank alone for awhile. Give it time to mature. 2 months is still very young and IMO you're moving a bit to quick.
I agree with spieszak, Sun Corals are not for beginners.

Back