HELP beginning an eclipse system six nano tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ankjones

Hello out there, Im beginning an eclipse six nano tank. I currently only have 5 lbs. of live rock curing but as I read more about things im wondering if the factory pump/filter system is enough water movement for the tank. I've had some ideas like adding a bubbler to move things around, or possibly a ZooMed MicroPump 104, or maybe even a ZooMed 226 power sweep (possibly overkill).
Thanks ahead of time
Andrew

How much water does the Eclipse move and what are you hoping to keep in the tank?

You may want to stay away from the power sweeps. Mine stopped sweeping in it's 2nd week despite being clean as a whistle. I have seen other numorous threads with post after post of failed power sweeps.

Is it possible to use a small pump from a simple tabletop waterfountain?
Also would a bubbler work to move the water?

The filter system is rated at 75 GPH

Last edited:
I'm assuming you already have the small fountain pump. If not mini jet powerheads are cheaper and the better way to go. Fountain pumps are not typically made for saltwater applications.

75GPH in a 6gal would be fine for softies, though a mini jet wouldn't hurt.

I am not sure what a bubbler is, though it shouldn't be needed. What are you planning on putting in the tank? Do you have high output lighting (compact PC's ect)

ankjones said:
Hello out there, Im beginning an eclipse six nano tank. I currently only have 5 lbs. of live rock curing but as I read more about things im wondering if the factory pump/filter system is enough water movement for the tank. I've had some ideas like adding a bubbler to move things around, or possibly a ZooMed MicroPump 104, or maybe even a ZooMed 226 power sweep (possibly overkill).
Thanks ahead of time
Andrew

Look into getting 1 or 2 mini-jet 404 powerheads. They have water flow adjustability, they are cheap and very reliable.

I would like to get a mini-jet powerhead, but right now my temp is absolutly perfect, between my light cycle, and my pump/filter, the tank stays at 80F like a dream. If I get another powerhead and/or new lighting then heat is going to be an issue, and i dont have a lot of money to put toward such a small tank. Any good ideas on a cheap way to chill my water??

I had a 6 gallon eclipse running for almost 2 years. It worked great for me... until everything grew so much that the more aggresive species were killing off its neighbors. So, I've upgraded to a 20L.

In anycase, for the Eclipse, I removed the factory biowheel and pump system. (It gets in the way of the lighting and doesn't help anything in the tank). Then, I removed the light.

In the beginning, I got 3-13W PC lights and screwed the sockets onto little pieces of plexiglass, which, in turn got attached to the hood. Then, I added a CPR bakpak, that I used as a pseudo refugium, I threw some calerpa in it.

It worked great! I didn't have any fish, so I rarely fed it. Lots of lights. It was really beautiful!

I still have the Bakpak if you need a skimmer... Be warned, it sits higher than the tank, so you have to do some creative balancing to get it stationary, but it was awesome for the water quality!

Email me if you have any questions.

Good luck!

achu

achu - do you have any pics of your 6 gallon? - it sounds like it was great!

I'll have to look and see if I have any pictures.

The coolest part was that a water change could be done with a 1 gallon jug of water.

With a 20L, my water changed have upped to the 3 gallon jugs! I can't imagine all of those people that have 10+ gallons to change out each water change!

Achu

i have an eclipse 6 that has been running for about 4 years now. been through the downs and ups of hair algae and the like. i too got rid of the biowheel, but kept the filter. put a bag of chemipure in there instead. also swapped out the stock light with a csl 32 watt 50/50 light, which just fits perfectly under the hood.
i also have a minijet powerhead which comes on with the lights. i have a nice sinularia, relatively large frogspawn (which i have fragged), large 60+ heads blasto, lots of shrooms, tiny closed brain, xenia and a rbta with partner tomato clown.
i attribute my current success to 2-3 half gallon water changes per week. i also use natural sea water and i do not dose anything.

i will attempt to post an "almost" recent pic.

Back