Help, can't keep the dkh up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kungfuchan2000

Cow In An Orange
Hi all, I'd like some advise on how to keep my ALK up. Fortunately, everything is healthy (at least seems to be or no fiasco yet).

A little background about my tank:
40 Gal display + 20 Gal refuge/sump
Salinity: 1.024
PH about 8.0 to 8.2 (I need to save up for a digit meter, API test is hard to read)
Cal: 400-420
ALK: stay around 6-7 DKH (which is my problem)

Live stock: (I will take a full tank pic tonight)
5 fishes (African flame back, yellow watchman, mystery wrasse, dragonet and an Allen Damsel)
Lots of random sps frags (mostly arcos and montis with birdnest and a couple big stylo)
Some lps (candy cane, small acan, etc)

Problem:
I have been trying to boost my ALK up. I do bi-weekly 30% water change regularly with IO salt. The freshly mixed water is perfect that gives me a reading of 11 DKH. However, my tank water would only go up to 8 or 9 the morning after water change and slowly drop back to 6-7 over the 2 weeks period between water change. I have been dosing the part 2 solution (baked baking soda) into my top off RODI water (drip nightly) according to the reef calculator for almost 2 months, but it doesn't really make any difference. The Cal level never drop but the ALK seem to be dropping at a consistent rate. I just wanna get it up the 11DKH so I can dose kalk or setup a calcium reactor eventually. But I can't get anywhere until the tank is balanced. I am getting a little confused and frustrated and suspect I am doing it incorrectly.

Any advise would be very helpful.

Thanks in advanced,
--Kevin

Last edited:
Have you checked your magnesium? I bet it’s low. I had similar issues and found out that my mag was low. Also, you should do more frequent water changes to keep it in check. Every other month is too far apart.

Sorry, I meant bi-weekly:oops:. Got confused there and I will edit the original post...

Thanks for the quick input. I will go get the mag test kit and see what's up.

Maybe have the lfs check your dkh....it might be your test kit? I wouldnt dose any Calcium, dont dose Anything, let it sit for a few weeks and see what levels your tank likes to be at. Some times the swings in levels can have bad outcomes, your tank is small and normal WC's should do the trick. JMHO best of luck.

Thank you guys. After a little research on my own too, I am highly suspecting that is due to the lack of magnesium now. I will go get myself a test kit and some Epsom salt tonight. Thanks.

Back