Help Catching an Angel Fish!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

baseballkid5

Need help to catch an Angel About 3-4 inches hes really pissing me off. He is toying with me and i dont know what to do i am not willing to take the tank apart to catch him. Anyone with any ideas or fish trap or anything?

He comes out and sees the net and hes gone. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

I would suggest using a large clear container instead of a visible net. Specimen containers, even large fish bags. Another option is a barbless hook. Just make sure not to let him swallow it. This means using a hook large enough that it won't likely swallow it AND making sure to "set" the hook in the lip.

I have always had good luck with a fish trap. If I knew where mine was, I would let you borrow it.

Good luck :)

-augustus

For a large fish that refuses a trap after a week of starvation and the only food being in the trap, I use the big guns. Use two pieces of overlapping acrylic sheets. Have them held in place with rock or sand and cloths pins or equal. Have the edge by the tank open and feed only in that side. They will get used to swimming on that side which is clear of rock, and then just close the door and scoop them out. Fool proof.

I have Marty Finn's Fish trap for loan if you want to try it.

if a fish trap doesn't work
try putting the net in the tank for a couple of days, don't feed at all or at least very much. then put food in the net...
or take part of the tank apart and block that part of the tank with egg crate when the fish is on that side...
either way, good luck!

The fish trap has worked for me several times.
When I used it I put it in the tank for several days before attempting to use it.
Don't feed before hand, then after a few days bait the trap and wait for the fish to swim in.
I also duct taped some towels on the front glass of the tank with just enough space to see into the trap. When the fish doesn't see you it might be more inclined to go after the food in the trap.

As Mike said he has the trap, which you are welcome to use.

Back