HELP clams all dying

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I dont think that my nitrates are causing my clams to die my opinion I guess. They are not always as high as 80 most of the time they are at 40 I know still too high right. I have been changing my water every week adding calcium everyday feeding bioplankton phytoplankton probably another reason for my levels to go up and my two main clams have been thriving and then bam all of them at one time and I dont feed my eels as much as I was. So if I have my clam for a year its not success? What is success then me having them for 5 years? If my clam does have a disease or parasite I would hate for another person to put the clam in their tank until my water is better. They can try go ahead if someone wants to take care of my clam until my levels are down please do it for me. I have a coco worm that has an inch of new growth everymonth I have a new duncan head growing I have chalice and acans chili coral zoos that all are doing great. I dont think its right to come on here and lecture people about not being able to take care of clams because its specialized. Dont just assume I dont know anything about this hobby because you have been doing it way longer than me I will take your advice I really appreciate it thats why I

First there really is no debate. You asked for advice and refuse to accept it, sorry I have no idea what your looking for. I'm not going to tell you some strange form of protozan destroyed your clam population if thats what your looking for. Your water quality is poor even with nitrates of 40 there is no debating that. If you go back and read I stated that clams will survive for quite awhile in poor water quality and finaly give up and die. Unless you can rule out water quality there is no sense in attempting to move forward with the diagnoses.
Finally I dont assume you know less or more than anyone else nor did I or anyone state that. All the information we have is what youve given. There are definatly water quality issues going on here if your nitrates are fluctuating between 40 and 80.
I guess I have to wonder why you dont believe that toxic levels of nitrates are not causing all your clam problem?:confused:

As barry stated start doing water changes and running carbon.

Don

That is true that my nitrates are causing a problem. I am accepting advice from people I just wanted to rule out everything. Hmmm I do believe there was a debate going on but a healthy one... :) Im not here to argue with you and I appreciate your input I have carbon in my tank. What do you recommend me doing a a few 20% water changes everyday or every other day. I am getting a lot of great ideas. Its just hard for me to get how the clam looks healthy theres new growth ect... I will get my levels down keep using carbon and keep using the great advice that you and others have given me THANK YOU DON! You are then man.

No I havent used mysis in that tank. Do they do something bad? I feed silversides or shrimp and green and red cubes and an algae clip.

Don I dont know if you live in washington or anything but I would love to see your tank sometime and learn how you do things.
cheree`

Don I dont know if you live in washington or anything but I would love to see your tank sometime and learn how you do things.
cheree`

I do and once its stocked I would love to start showing it off. I just set up a brand new diy zeroedge and tore down my 110. Ive been there as far as loosing clams. My tank was destroyed with copper. I lost a 17" gigas, 4-4" croceas, 10" durasa, 2-7" squamosa and a 8" maxima all within a couple of weeks.
Loosing clams is a drag. As far as your tank goes. Id do as many and as large as water changes as you can get done in the shortest period of time. Take a look at Fatherree's giant clam book. He states nitrates for clams should be no more than 10 but preferably less than 1. Other than water changes I cant really make any other suggestions since I know nothing about your system other than what youve stated in this thread.

Don

Don

You know I got some new live rock in the last two months a new clam my nitrates are high it could be any of those. I will eliminate as much as I can the nitrates ect... After that if my gigas starts dying I will look for more. If anyone has anymore suggestions let me know. Don let me know when I can see your system. Thanks.

Adding new LR could spike the water, It would take just one thing slightly off to cause that, even If it was cured, unless you drip acclimated your lr but who does that! Clams don't necessary die suddenly, living with high nitrates for such a long time may take a while but as mentioned, once you reach a certain point they can go off one after another. You seem to add, dose & change things frequently, that makes it even harder. Stop everything but the large changes close together daily until you get it under control, & test daily, you dousing two parts but are you testing daily & what are you testing exactly if you are?

With a tank that big it takes alot to cause such high nutrients and it going to take even more to get it down. Just take your time, its going to be alot of work especially with that bioload.

Don

I guess I started a whole big thing with the possibility of pinched mantle or protozans and I think it was taken way out of context I said that I that was only one of the possibilities and I had talked with the peep and they had similar issues.. Even when I had my clam disaster and the whole pm issue was going around there was no way to prove or diprove anthing so I am assuming this thread will end the exact same way with no answer.... So all I was doing was stating the obvious similarities,that I had intoduced a new clam and recently there after all of my clams mantles started to shrivel and they had a very similar issue so as I know no one has the answer to the prob bucause as don said it is a tank by tank issue I also only know that I was sharing my only success so they may have some hope of saving the clam and the advise I gave was just not for pm but would address water quality issues as well instead of just letting die while they get no answers.. And Please do not putyourclam in anothers tank unless they have no clams and plan not to get clams in the near future as there is the possibity of causing them porblems as well IF there is a pm prob..

my guess is gonna be with scooter and don... a combo of things...

meny changes quickly.... bunch of new stuff added.... you said new LR
+ high trates.... 40 is crazy high for a reef.. 80 is death... (my conparasion)

i think you should check your source water, maybe get some new filters for the ro. watch how you feed... it sounds you feed a lotta meat.... granted you have a lotta hermits and snails... but they poo 2. its called Repoo'n

anyway sorry for your lose

its not 2 late... you can bang a few water changes... if your setup permit's and save wahat ya got

my salinity is at 1.025 I get it premixed at indoor reef. I also have new filters on my di unit and tested it. Its good. My gigas looks good still. Ill do water changes and keep updated.

What causes pinched mantal

At this time I don't think anyone knows for certain but there's some research being done. Barry of "ClamsDirect" for one thing, is researching it (or was). There may be an article about it on his website.

Update 12/26/07

The lab that we have been working with has had to put our research on the back burner since they are now doing some lobster work. The lobster project has been more time consuming then they originally anticipated. This lobster project is also what Dave's thesis is based on. With that in mind, they have also found it frustrating that they have not had time to give to the therapy portion of the Tridacna work which is what you really need but we haven't wanted to rush at anything either. My best prediction is that towards the end of April , we can start our therapy also with the guidance of Ian Bricknell.

I know this has been a slow process but since they are not charging me for the lab time and just the cost of slide for histopathology (examination of diseased tissue) culture of hemolymph/blood (to detect the presence of organisms by growing them in special media) histopathology report.

How often have you moved them

In my opinion there are two ways people kill there clams.One is to move them to a more apealing spot without carefully detatching the threads that it secures itself with. This is often done by the seller or importer as well.The other would be not properly aclimating,or makeing sure all air escapes by tilting when putting in water.Both of these can take days or even weeks to kill them.Nitrates of 80 are not an issue with clams,but lighting and propper flo are.The health of the clam when aquired is very important.

.Nitrates of 80 are not an issue with clams,but lighting and propper flo are.The health of the clam when aquired is very important.

The nitrates themselves are not as much of an issue but the very poor conditions required to have nitrates of 80 are. So in short if you have nitrates of 80 water quality is terrible and WILL kill your clams.

Don

Back