Help, How Can I Prevent Mold

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

CJG

Hey everybody, I was just wondering if there are any secrets to help prevent molding and such things which your tank can create in your house. I'm currently getting ready to set up very large tanks in my basement, where I have one window that I can always keep open. I'm also currently planning on putting another one in. Theres also a door to the outside that can be left open every once in a while as well just near the tank. I know there must be other things that I can do. Thanks for your input and anything helps.

When I had a 180gallon, 135 gallon, and 2-3 other small tanks setup in my house, there would be some mold during the winter time when the house was closed up most of the time, untill I started using a dehumidifer.
Worked pretty good.

Buckets of damp rid or some other kind of desiccant I have seen your set up down there humidifier would be optimal also moving air fans would help.

If you need help on the dehumidifier let me know my company does allot of indoor pool dehumidification although what we us would be way too large for your application I could do all the load calculations and match a smaller version for you. May be even get you a deal through one of our suppliers

ya dehumidify, my ac unit has a dehumidfy mode, its useful to run in the winter when temp dont evap the water from the room well.

Thanks everybody, that seems like good info so far. However I was under the impression that if I ran a dehumidifier that perhaps eventually it would just start sucking water out of my tank. One time when a tank of mine flooded about 80 gallons of water on my carpeted floor, I ran a dehumidifier for about a week and I could have sworn that the water level in the tank was dropping more rapidly then it ever had before. Any thoughts on that? Anyhow coil1002 when you come by this week I'll talk with you more about that.

I heard about a closed hood system with a bathroom fan type of venting. The guy has a 500g and has no issues like humidity or mold or heat from halides. Its all vented outside through a dryer type vent. This is one of my long term projects. I think it sounds like a great solution.

Another good point if you have access venting the hood outside is great but usually more effective fro larger systems. As backup alot of fish stores use dehumidifiers.

I vote on the dehumidifier. The Pacific Nowrthwest can be pretty moist as it is! Seems like some house will get moldy without a tank full of warm water!
There could definitely be some truth to dehumidifier helping more water evap though. I'd rather top off then tear out a moldy wall...
just my 2 cents

Another good point if you have access venting the hood outside is great but usually more effective fro larger systems. As backup alot of fish stores use dehumidifiers.

I have used a humidifier and thought it to be a pain in the butt. It was loud and put off too much heat. When I set up my 180g the hood will be vented outside.

Thanks everybody, that seems like good info so far. However I was under the impression that if I ran a dehumidifier that perhaps eventually it would just start sucking water out of my tank. One time when a tank of mine flooded about 80 gallons of water on my carpeted floor, I ran a dehumidifier for about a week and I could have sworn that the water level in the tank was dropping more rapidly then it ever had before. Any thoughts on that? Anyhow coil1002 when you come by this week I'll talk with you more about that.

Yes they can do that hence the need for load calculations. If you remove moisture from the air it only leaves it with the potintial to absorb more water. The water that falls off a dehumidifier coil is as clean as distilled water since that is essentilly what has happened to it if you worry about topping it off you could always pipe the water from the humidifier to an auto top off holding container no loss then.

Last edited:
Not a bad idea from any of those comments. Tell me more about the vent coming from the hood. How would I do something like that? Theres a wall leading outside right next to the tank so the vent wouldn't need to travel too far.

I don't mean to steal this thread but since we are on the subject i have a question. I have my 210 in a basement and it is usually 70* year round down there. Would i have to worry about mold? Are tehre any signs that i might need a dehumidifier? Its not humid in the basement at all and i still evaporate a decent amount of water everyday. So do you think i should get a dehumidifier anyways?

Not a bad idea from any of those comments. Tell me more about the vent coming from the hood. How would I do something like that? Theres a wall leading outside right next to the tank so the vent wouldn't need to travel too far.
I haven't seen the set up, we just talked about his set up and I thought it was a great idea. Taking all the heat and humidity (and smell) and venting it outside.Here's how I think it would work. You need a fairly airtight hood cover. (kevinpo was the one telling me about this. He said when he goes to open a hood cover it actually has a little suction, good airflow). Mount and plumb a bathroom fan of appropriate size between the tank and the vent.(I don't think you'd want to mount the fan to your hood :)) Plumb the hood to the fan and out the vent. I haven't done one yet so I don't have alot of details but I think it's a great concept. I'm sure there's plenty of people that have done this that can help. I'll follow along and try to learn something ;)

A friend of mine did it on his 350 and it worked very good. He was fortunate enough to have the tank on a outside wall, so you just ran straight out the side.

Do not plumb the dehumidifier waste water back to your tank! Think of all the nasty stuff in the air that is mixed in with the water and it is not filtered. My dehumidifier instruction manual doesn't even suggest you use the waste water for household plants! It states do not use as drinking water for humans or animals. So plumbing back to the tank is not a good idea. I too would rather top off then have to clean up mold. My last apartment got mold from my 150g and windows would perspire in the winter.

Do not plumb the dehumidifier waste water back to your tank! Think of all the nasty stuff in the air that is mixed in with the water and it is not filtered. My dehumidifier instruction manual doesn't even suggest you use the waste water for household plants! It states do not use as drinking water for humans or animals. So plumbing back to the tank is not a good idea. I too would rather top off then have to clean up mold. My last apartment got mold from my 150g and windows would perspire in the winter.

The De-humidifier I am refering too would be one bought through my company they have epoxy coated coils and cpvc drain pans They are used to de-humidify pools and large aquariums like the ones you would find at monterey bay they are made to have the water plumbed back to the humidity source.

However They do not come with a filter and if I remember corectly you would need a 3 stage before you could put the water back to the tank. You can get one for it but for the hassle I would live with the waste. I forget about the filter I am usally putting these things on public pools not aquariums.

Back