help id these please?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dimdim

i have these all over my one peice of lr.. they only come out at night , and during they day they hide in the darker places or shrink. they look like tree frog toes.. if anyone knows what i mean, tiny little branches with bubble looking polyps at each tip.. they are no bigger then 2cm..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

glass anenomie. a slow growing pest nothing like aptasia or mojanoes. if in reach nuke with the normal options but if out of reach dont worry too much.

Looks like ball anemone to me. Pseudocorynactis (sp?) I have some. They are not intrusive.

The ones I have def don't look like a nem. ONLY come out at night. Sweepers are very thin, short and with a tiny white ball on the end. Pretty much like the OP pic.

I believe it is either a cup coral, or a hydroid. Ive got no means of zapping anything. Never had any probs, till now, i have those things and a majano nem... Want to make a diy zapper.. But am way to scared of electricity

nata said glass anenomie are not aptasia and i believe her as she is very knowledgeable and beautiful tanks'

Glass anenomes are apatasia. Just google it... There all unwanted pests i believe. I blasted it with boiling water, and kaput:)

You are all mostly right. Glass anemone is another cpmmon name for the pest Aptasia, but neither the description nor the picture is a glass anemone. It is a Corallimorpharia of the Corynactis family. Corynactis is a genus of colonial anthozoans similar in appearance to sea anemones and in body format to scleractinian stony corals. These animals are cnidarians in the family Corallimorphidae. Commonly called strawberry anemone though not all are red/pink colored. Also called jeweled anemone. It is a coral and NOT a pest.

Learn to live with if not love, most things that appear naturally in a maturing coral aquarium

the following is a cool vieo of one species.

'Corynactis viridis' on Vimeo

Last edited:
Awesome!!! If this is a polyp nem, does having like 8 of them matter? They are growing rather rapidly, and are they related to any nems like rbta?

nata said glass anenomie are not aptasia and i believe her as she is very knowledgeable and beautiful tanks'

nata does have some amazing tanks and huge variety, and I also appreciate her experience, but a glass anemonie is an aiptasia. they will have more of a glassy look when they lack light exposure. browner with light.

nata does have some amazing tanks and huge variety, and I also appreciate her experience, but a glass anemonie is an aiptasia. they will have more of a glassy look when they lack light exposure. browner with light.

KP, do you read all the posts or see the images. Please review the first post with picture and description.

Neither the picture not description is of any form of Aiptasia. Aiptasia anemones do not have balls on the end of the tenticles. They look like this
aiptasia5.jpg

The critters in question in his picture have little balls on the ends. They look like more like Cornactis such as these
4349922779_bb7b6a78cf.jpg

Last edited:
hey fishy, YOU should read all the posts as I said it looked like a hydroid. was only stating that glass anemone is another name for aiptasia. the original pic was pretty blurry though.

REALLY fishy? you are posting a pic of ONE kind of hydriods....how about a retraction of your accusation that I didn't read all the posts when in fact YOU did not read all the posts? i'm not gonna waste my time posting a pic of a hydroid that very much looks like the one in the OP picture.

Back