HELP! Light went out, dont know what to do!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sandlot13

Med Student Reefer
ALrighty, so yesterday I came home to find my tank light off and the breaker to the room tripped. I got the pumps running again, but everytime I plugged the light back in (150W Metal Halide HOB Coralife) it shorted out the breaker again. There was also a very metallic smell coming from the ballast.

What do I do? Im feel like my light is shot, but I hope it isnt....... any suggestions?

I guess the real problem is, how long can my corals go without light and still be okay? If this isnt a quick fix, i might have to either sell all my livestock or have some place hold it for me.........

please help!

Sounds like the ballast is going out. Think of the ocean, things can go a few days before any real issues. Do you have any back up light at all? Is the tank near a window?

Your corals will be fine for a few days. There's a thread going around about leaving the lights off for 3 days to reduce nuisance algaes. No worries. ;)

thats good to hear about the corals being okay for a bit....... any ideas what to do about the ballast? any place to get a cheap ballast for a 150W MH?

Would just order a replacement ballast & replace as soon as you can but your tank should be ok with less light for a while.

wow, thanks for the great responses guys! im looking into getting a new ballast...... ill keep people posted.

in the mean time, i pulled out my old 96W PC lighting and have that over the tank...... its not enough lighting, but it will do for suppliment lighting for now ;)

Back