Help me design my new 240gal setup!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

If I were planning to have anemones I would add them first. I know I'll get beat up for that statement, but there is a reason. They tend to wander until they find their happy place.

LPS like enough flow to make their polyps sway, so you're not talking a whole lot of flow in that tank. I would think that something like 3000 gph in the main tank for CL flow would do well. Add a pressure rated pump and a pair of penductors for the sump return and I think you'd be set.

The key is to get any detritus either to go into the overflow and to the sump/skimmer or collect in an easily accessable area to be siphoned out. You don't need high flow for this, just well placed flow.

LPS like alternating flow. Using either oceansmotions, MBV, or seaswirls can accomplish this. All depends on your preference and budget.

Thanks again Reed.

Does anyone else have any comments on anemones? These are some of my favorite invertebrates and are definately going in this tank.

I'm getting a stong closed-loop vibe from you guys.

The big thing about closed loops (and I think this is why people are hyping it) is that doing them when the tank is empty is easy and can be placed where the outlets can be hidden.

I run a glass tank with a closed loop plumbed up and over the top. Works great and can be changed at any time. No worries about bulkhead leaks or outlets in the wrong place. You do have to be creative in the outlet locations to make it non-invasive.

Do you know what kind of anomone you want to keep? Carpet, BTA, LTA, RBTA? Different anemones have different needs. I like the carpets, but they grow too large for my tank.

In your tank I would think about using one end or the middle to be a specialized area for the anomone(s). This will allow you to tailor the lighting, flow, and sand/rockwork to the creatures needs. If you give an anemone the environment it likes it is much less likely to wander.

You can do a similar thing with the other end of the tank (or the other two ends if you choose to make the anemone(s) the centerpiece) to accomodate your LPS corals with flow and lighting to their liking.

Finally, think about the fish you want. I would match clowns to the anemone(s). Choose some algae grazers to help with the inevitable algae (tangs, rabbitfish, blenny, etc.). Also if you are going to go with clams choose your fish wisely...some like to nip at the mantles. Get a 6-line wrasse, as they will help protect the clams from the "bad" snails.

enough rambling

The six-line wrasse is cool.

For the moment, the only fish I'm certain of are the clownfish (types depending on anemone), a royal gramma from my old tank, a jawfish (wife insists on these and I like them too), and maybe some sand-sifting gobies and starfish. Eventually I will add a mandarin, but of course not for about a year while the tank stabilizes.

Other than that, probably some of your standard reef fishes like tangs.

There will be a small sandbed (1-2") in the main display and a 6" DSB in the fuge.

reedman said:
late to the show here, but I will tell you for easy, simply skimmers, Lifereef puts out some great stuff. I run their 24" tall model on my 75 and really works great. No fiddling, just set it up, run it and watch the skimmate come out. Good old fashioned venturi skimming. not glamorous, but very effective.

So Reed, this skimmer doesn't choke if the water level in the sump goes up or a down a few inches?

I don't know about that. My sump level is controled with a float switch to keep it consistent (and maintain the salinity). You could call or email them to find out though. www.lifereef.com

This is a snippet from their website:
NO VENTURI CLOGGING, EVER! our skimmer utilizes a self-cleaning venturi setup !
SILENT OPERATION, NO venturi (or pressure jet) suction noise at all, the quietest skimmer ever!
NO EXCESS BUBBLES in your sump. The Lifereef design criteria was to specifically design a skimmer to retain micro-bubbles, BUT, maintain excellent bubble contact time and consistency.
NO constant adjustments, the self-cleaning venturi prevents water level fluctuations.
NO cup overflow, the self-cleaning venturi prevents the cup from overflowing.
NO special waste collector required, our cup is a collection cup, not a diverter cup.
NO "humming" or vibration noise as in needle-wheel designs or hardmount pumps on the skimmer body.
NO SPECIAL SETUP requirements such as having to raise the skimmer.
NO ERRATIC PERFORMANCE, the self-cleaning venturi maintains a stable water level.
NO EXCESSIVE pipe, contraptions, or "air sucking devices" hanging or attached to the skimmer
NO SPLASHING
NO SALT CREEP
NO MAINTENANCE except emptying the cup!

And "yes" the Lifereef skimmers can be used with ozone!

Ok Reed, you better be right or I'm coming over and messin' you up!

Just kiddin'....

I picked up a Reeflife VS3-30 for $225 (no pump). If I don't like it I won't be out much cash, so I will give this one a spin. I'll probably run it externally.

I think you'll be happy. I mean, he's been selling the stuff he builds since 1984....it can't be that bad ;)

I love mine...consistently pulls crap out and keeps the water column clear. I rarely tweak it at all. I just clean the neck once in a while and it just keeps going. Plus that's a pretty good deal on that skimmer. It retails for about $400. Good luck my friend!

Ok, I've drawn a rough sketch of my return/sump plumbing design. I would appreciate it if anyone could alert me to obvious mistakes.

I'm estimating I'll get about 4200gph maximum after the head pressure on the return pump.

I'd make sure to use unions & ball valves before & after your pump, everything looks good from here. I still maintain that you should narrow your circulation to the sump with a smaller pump, less plumbing & make a separate CL for water movement rather than try & do everything on one huge pump but I'm not saying what you have won't work, it will work I just like having separated flow options in case of failures, siphon breaks etc. JMO regardless it is looking good.

Thanks Scooter. Yes, the pump will be external and I'll be sure to put a true union on it.

I also meant to put a true union before and after the UV/chemical/chiller combination as well, for maintenance.

This plumbing design is really only meant for the sump and return... I'm still working on the closed loop plumbing. I'll post it when I have an idea what I want it to look like.

My immediate feeling is that you have way too much pump for a sump return. You really don't need too much pump for a sump return. You should size it to your skimmers capabilities. This is what Scooter is hinting at (I think). I would run something like 1000-1500 gph max. Your skimmer is going to run at less than 1200 gph so running more flow than that through your sump you aren't going to process all the water and that is the whole purpose of bringing water into the sump. My thoughts on the matter

If you do plan a CL then save money on sizing a huge return with two inlets & outlets, size it for one of each, then design 4, 3/4" outlets on a CL which you don't need a pressure rated pump in this case. I was looking at the IWAKI jap. pressure rated pump for my sump return with maybe 500gph or the Unio series by Sequence & the Reef-flow for my CL, maybe the 750 models, not sure on that yet. (I'm planning a system also).

Ok, I'll think it over. Basically I got a good deal on the Hammerhead, which is why I was planning to use it. But I think it would make a good closed loop pump as well.

That's a great CL pump. Much better use for it. I think you could run a pan world pump or something similar for your return and be very happy.

Yeah, I guess the only thing I'm concerned about is that since I'm starting with LPS -- I didn't get the impression they appreciate being in a whirlpool. I guess for starters I could use a smaller pump on the CL as well.

Having never kept LPS, I don't really know!

dont buy the equipment twice (smaller pump), drill the holes, plumb the CL and then just don't run the pump if it is too much. Or run it only a few hours a day when the lights are on. Save some electricity and same on another pump. The extra intermittent flow will help kick the detritus in suspension out of the dead spots and allow the skimmer to really clear it up.

Mat

Back