help me find a quiet(er) return pump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

toast

hello,

im currently running a submersible gen-x 6000 as my return pump between the 35 gal sump and the 135 gal tank. its great, but im ready to upgrade. since the spring, when i got up and running, i have saved up enough to set up something quieter. im prepared to do some plumbing, but would prefer if i didnt have to cut a hole in by glass sump.

are there quiet pumps out there that i could install to draw the water up from the sump (2 feet) and then pump an additional 3.5 feet to get to the return port of the tank?

im not looking for super flow here, as powerheads can do that job. my main goal is reliability and decreased noise.

i would love to start a conversation on line and perhaps continue it in person at the frag swap.

thanks in advance for any comments you have.

tom

tom,

you have to think about where you want to take your tank in the future too. You may be OK with the powerheads in the tank right now because real estate isn't at a premium. When your tank starts to fill with corals and you are looking at where to place the next great piece you may look at removing the powerheads.

My point here is to consider what you could do with a closed loop system. If it seems like something you might want to do look into it now and price it vs. a cheaper pump that has a lesser GPH rating. Also, consider flow patterns as much as total flow. Futhermore, if this is a return pump, my opinion is treat it as a return only, not the primary flow for the tank. You may also consider using a PVC pipe drilled as a spray bar to return water through. Many people are doing this to improve circulation in the bottom of their tanks.

As to pumps. I have heard good things about Sequence pumps for external pumps. They are pretty reasonably priced at www.azponds.com. Make sure you get the saltwater seals. The ampmaster pumps are quiet and efficient, but have a history of leaks. Most say this has been solved, but after you have mailed one back to then to fix (as I have...twice) it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

As Chuck said, tell us what you plan to use it for and what the constraints are (i.e. submersable or external, for return or increased flow, how much head height). You'll get a variety of answers to think about.

Good luck on the hunt

I have a couple of RIo 2500s in my sump and they are noisy as hell. I am going to try the Ehiem products. I have heard good things about the "Quiet One" by Supreme.

I like the MAG pump series. I have a MAG 7 and it runs my skimmer very well and is quite. For external I've got an Iwaki pump thats pretty quiet. I have a ampmaster 3000 for my closed loop and it is completely silent, but leaks a tiny bit from time to time. I just leave it alone and it has always stopped in a couple of days.

~Gordo~

I have a ViaAqua 2600 for my return, after reading some reviews on RC, and noticing the incredible sale price at Foster&Smith. Very quiet, and so far not a twitch of trouble. Of course, I'm still cycling ;-)

At any rate, others said the durability on the new models was great, and it fit into a very small space for me. At that price I can throw in a spare :)

Heidi

I vote for the Supreme Mag drive submersible pumps :)

I hear the ViaAquas are great, too, but never have tried them yet.

- Elmo :)

Velocity T4. Quietest pump I have ever used or even heard period.

I have to touch it to make sure it is running.

The only noise I hear from my tank is a submerged MAG9 for my skimmer and flow noise.

more info

thanks for your replies everyone.

in response to chuck's questions...

What kind of flowrate are you targeting?

im not so concerned about the flow, but i do have 6 feet between the sump and the return in the back of the tank, so whatever i get will have to deal with that.

Internal or external?

i was thinking external - arent they quieter, and easier to work with? if it were external, i would need something that could draw the water up out of the sump (about two feet) and then pump it the rest of the way back into the tank.

regarding the spray bar option:

ive already hooked an internal spray bar up in the back of the tank, and am not so interested in having the liability of a spray bar return. when i want more flow, a closed loop (with a second pump) is definitely an option in place of powerheads. right now im just looking for a quiet return. lower flow is okay, as long as it handles the 6' pressure head.

thanks a lot!

tom

(what a great meeting it was last night!)

I don't think any pump will have the ability to pull the water up two feet ( or 1" for that matter). All pumps I'm aware of need to be primed before they will start moving water. I don't know of a way to prime (or keep primed) a pump that sits two feet above the water line. A check valve might work, but I'm not sure.

~Gordo~

Back