help me level my fish tank please !!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spongebob lover

flea whisperer
doods/ doodettes i need help quick !!!
I'm moving my fish tank as we speak and as i was filling it up with water, we found out that the freaking floors in our office are unlevel (i don't know if it's because we have hard wood floors and it's an old house) :mad: , my husband is extremely upset because we can't figure out for the life of me how to level the fish tank because on one side looks level and on the other one its not :cry: , it looks like if the tank was leaning towards and so when you pass by, the whole thing shakes good.
Do you think if we put a little bit of carpet, it'd make the tank at least not shake?
how about earthquake straps?

any ideas on what should i do? please !!! :cry:

Gaby,

Borrow a long-level and buy $3 worth of shims from Home Depot, Lowes, or whatever major hardware store you have nearby.

Gabby, is it wood floors you are resting it on?

yes or at least they look like, i mean when you walk in the center you can hear the wood sound i guess :p .

Gaby,

Borrow a long-level and buy $3 worth of shims from Home Depot, Lowes, or whatever major hardware store you have nearby.

is that all i need dood? because we thought about putting carpet under the stand to see if it'd stop it from moving but we just dont' have a clue on what to do :p and the husband has been getting quite upset because he hates movign the fish tank :lol: .

thank you so much everyone you all made me feel much better :) , the husband just took off to get some shims :D..... now Ilham tell us please

Do you think if we put a little bit of carpet, it'd make the tank at least not shake?

Bypass carpet completely!!!!! It will just make the tank more unstable. Shim between the hardwood and stand. You can also put a piece of plywood underneath your stand and then shim if the stand is supported by feet instead of solid at the bottom.

Guess I'm a little late, I hope your moving it to a location where the floor is more solid as in was the area where the tank was having issues like floor damage or is it just because of the old flooring & the tank wasn't ever level? Shims & more shims but make sure you moving it to a solid surface.

Guess I'm a little late, I hope your moving it to a location where the floor is more solid as in was the area where the tank was having issues like floor damage or is it just because of the old flooring & the tank wasn't ever level? Shims & more shims but make sure you moving it to a solid surface.
yeah dood well the problem is that since it's an old house, all the floors are unlevel :p and yes its old flooring. so wherever we move the fish tank, it kind of leans towards :eek: , i had to get some of the water out again because it looked like it was gonna fall :eek: .
Right now, i'm just waiting for the husband to come home with the stuff so we can get the tank going ... seriously doods it's been a hard day :oops: . ohhh yeah and to make it sweeter, the whole room smells like fish so i'm getting high from it :lol:

Check out these faq's. There is a lot of professional advise on leveling a tank including Anthony Calfo's!

you knwo that's an awesome link dood .

Gabby, is it wood floors you are resting it on?

PM sent Gabster.

thank you dood, i talked to Colleen and Scott which by the way, thank you so much if you read this :) .

Hope it all works out Gab. I think for the size tank you'll be fine with the shims. Scott and I always sit our tanks on latex backed throw rugs just to help catch the drips. Definately did that upstairs on the hard floors as it did cushion it some.

Okay first off it is not doods
the word is spelled DUDE
or DUDE'S
shims shims shims shims shims shims shims

Hey doods, how long of a tank is it? Were the shims thick enough? My 180 required as much as 1 1/2" on one end "doo" to the settling of my house's concrete basement floor

Back