Help Me Pick Out A "Rare" Fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Snowboarda42

Cirrhitichthys falco
So I think I've decided I want one last fish, this one I want to be kinda rare in some sorts. Not something that you would see in a LFS much, probably over $100 as well. Like a prize fish I guess.

Right now my tank is as follows:
40 Gallon Breeder
45lbs LR
80lbs LS
Sps, Mushrooms, Chaeto, GSP, Xenia, some LPS in the future as well.

Tank Livestock is:
2 Lyretail Anthias
1 Starry Blenny
1 Yellow Watchman Goby + Pistol Shrimp

1 Cleaner Shrimp
7 Turbo Snails
10 Ceriths
3 Astrea
3 Emerald Crabs

SG - 1.025
pH - 8.3
Temp - 80.1* average
PO4 - 0.0
NO3 - 0 - 1ppm (never seen it more than 1)
NH3 - 0
NO2 - 0
Ca - 432ppm
Alk - 10dKH
Mg- 1250ppm
RO/DI 0ppm + Reef Crystals 15% Water Change Weekly (religiously done)

This tank can/will have a cover over it.

I like the Helfrichi Firefish alot, but I want other suggestions as well. And if possible, where I would get it.
Any Ideas?

From your current bio-load and the capacity of the system, you're looking for a fish that, when mature, would be about 3" or less. This usually means a Goby type fish. Keeping the size limit in mind, keep watch of what comes through The Marine Center. They usually offer a higher percentage of the unusual fishes. Their prices are too high for the 'usual fishes' in my opinion.

You can contact almost any online source, including the sponsors here to Reef Frontiers and, when you decide on a fish, ask them to be on the look out for you.

Another means is to go online and, looking for the fish you want, if it is listed but not available, leave your e-mail address to be notified when it comes in. But still, don't underestimate your LFS. When your LFS places their order from the wholesaler (e.g., from LA) have him/her ask if there is anything unusual. But, you should have prepared your LFS with a list of possibles, based upon the capacity of the system.

Sometimes they are rare because they are difficult to maintain. Please take this into account, too. Don't acquire any fish you are not prepared to properly support with the environment and nutritional needs. ;)

I don't recommend fishes, but with you well! Being rare means they are not easy to come across, so you'll need patience.

That is a pretty good plan and a very nice choice.

This Wrasse does enjoy snails and crustaceans. It is a very peaceful carnivore, which is a bit like saying a person is a nice jerk. Kept well fed, it will probably view some of what is established as tank mates. But at any time the fish may answer the call of Mother Nature and have a feast on escargot. (Make sure not to add garlic!) :evil:

The next in line on the menu would be the shrimp, then the crabs. Hermits can generally look out for themselves and, unless yours have become too comfortable, they will duck when a fish approaches. But the eating and removal of hermits is not necessarily a bad thing, IMO. :D

Please be sure to quarantine this fish so that it can learn to eat what you feed it, rather than having to hunt for food. If you bypass the quarantine, you can pretty much count on this fish entering the display and start hunting for food.

also make sure u introduce it with the lights off alot of people do not do that and then say why did i lose my prize fish i just got.

Back